Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Quick Recovery Update and Crazy Thoughts

Happy Wednesday Everyone!!

Quick recovery update

My body hates me lol.  Everything is still sore and sluggish.  Taking things pretty slow while I get my legs back under me.

The Rambling Thoughts of a Runner…

Today I share with you a little insight into my crazy mind.  A couple weeks ago I posted about upcoming events which included some races that I was already signed up for or was considering signing up for.  I’m not big on resolutions and goals, to be honest I’m so up and down with things that these days I sign up on a whim, but my wheels have started turning and 2017 could be HUGE!!

Number one and most importantly, 2017 is going to be an amazing year because we are adding another member to our family.  By far the best thing to happen this year, we are all excited, and cant wait to take this next step in our lives. 

As for running, I’ve started 2017 in a big way with a pretty solid PR in the half marathon.  Honestly when I ran 1:39 at last year’s RnR, it was just about the biggest running accomplishment to that date.  Never did I think that I would best that by 4 minutes.  Now that I’m so close to the sub 1:30 arena, it really has me thinking about the BQ again.  Now I’ve gone back and forth about this because yes yes I did the whole “I’m done with roads” thing but the BQ really feels possible.  Unforutnatly the next good attempt would be next month and I cant commit to that because I’m pacing my coach at his 100k and that is something that I’m really looking forward to.  Now that creates a crazy dilemma in my head lol

I will be turning 35 this year, so that means when the big marathons roll around the beginning of next year, by BQ time jumps up to 3:10.  Literally my thought process:

“Well that’s cheating, I’m aging into a BQ”
“I’ve never even run sub 4:00 so 3:10 is more than an accomplishment”
“But I think very quickly I can get ready to attempt a 3:05”
“Getting older is a part of life and I’m going to age into different times anyways”

Crazy right!!  So I think I’ve come to grips with shooting for a BQ next year.  Regardless of what the official qualifying time is, I’m going to need a sub 3hr marathon to get into Boston anyways.

That got me into the next set of off the wall thoughts.  I think 2017 is going to be…..The Year of the PR!!!  I already knocked out the half marathon and at the same time I was running the half marathon I set a new 10k PR.  I cant even remember the last time I ran a 5k and 10k for the purpose of PR.  I’m not a person that needs a race to improve my times so maybe I’ll chase that sub 20 min 5k one of these days for some speed work.  Then again maybe I’ll find some local race with timing and go after the 5k or 10k.  See what I mean, up and down.

None of this goes against my true passion which is chasing ultras.  

On a whim I text my coach one day and asked him what I needed to do to get ready for my first 100 miler.  WHAT?!?!?!  HAHAHA!!!  There is a race out here in Northern Arizona called the Mogollon Monster.  This is a 100 mile race with about 22,000 feet of elevation gain.  Yes that is three zeros lol.  Here in the AZ Ultra community this is a pretty iconic race and I have this inner calling to get myself into this race.  The event takes place in September each year so I thought it was be a great birthday event.  Not to mention, the placing awards are these cool sasquatch statues that I think are the coolest things in the world.

In order to ramp up to the 100 mile distance, my coach advised that I need a 50 mile race and a 100k race under my belt.  There are events throughout the year that include those distances and those would be adding to the ever growing resume I’m building. 

Then I snap back to reality, 100 miles are you insane?!?!?!  These are all the things that have been going through my head as of late.  Honestly I want to get after another 50k and see if I can execute a race plan much better this go around. After that everything else is up in the air.  I have a tendency to jump in head first and figure it out along the way so we will see what happens.

Any thoughts on how I should play out this year?

Does anyone else have these types of crazy off the wall ideas bounce around their head

8 comments:

  1. With a 1:35 half marathon, sub 20 is a very reasonable goal. But you probably can't focus on developing the fast twitch muscles needed for a shorter race if your other goals for the year are ultras & marathons (slow twitch/endurance muscles). Marathon equivalent of your half PR is 3:20 (based on mcmillan), so 3:05 would be a massive undertaking this year.

    How will having a newborn affect your ability to train for a 100 mile race? I'm child-free myself, but my best friend became a mom last summer and there were a lot of sleepless nights and long days at work that left her and her fiance exhausted. Can't imagine how ultra training would feel on top of that...but you probably have a much better idea on what to expect than I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it!! Go for a BQ! You should run Mt. Charleston Marathon, end of April, Vegas. Quick drive and fast course. Or run it for trial this year, and go back next year for your shot.

    100 miles is just crazy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. well gee, most people just want to blow out candles, have a few friends over, maybe birthday beers? But nooooo....! Ha ha ha! I don't think they are "crazy" ideas, they are POSSIBILITIES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and here....I've mentioned this BQ race to you before. It literally starts across the street from my house!
    http://jackjillmarathon.com/#about

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and there's also THIS...
    http://www.cascadecrest100.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea that it's the year of the PR!! PRs are so fun. OMG, a 100 miler!? That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many things to consider! I am 33 so right now my BQ time would be 3:35, and since I am probably not running another marathon for a little I will probably be in the 3:40 category if I do BQ, but part of me always wants to run sub 3:35 to feel like I really did it! Cant wait to see what you end up deciding for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm attempting a 100 mile race in North Carolina. I think it's the first week of May, saw it on race-find.com. It'll be my first and likely my last of that distance, but it has given me something to push myself towards.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!