Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I Always Need a Reminder

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!

This weekend turned out to be a HUGE reminder for me.  At one point or another, we’ve all been knee deep in training and all of our focus is dedicated to “The Plan”.  I have to admit that I’m guilty of currently being in one of these mindsets.   I came out of my 50k and my recent half marathon feeling like I need to keep putting in hard work and improve on those performances.  There is nothing wrong with this mindset.  There is nothing wrong with making goals, smashing them, then setting new goals.  But…with this mindset it’s easy for some things to get lost in the grind.

Enjoyment…

Now I’m only speaking for myself, but when I’m trying to get in XX number of miles or run XX pace, I tend to forget about the whole reason why I do this trail running thing.  Well good thing for me, Sunday was a great reminder.

“The Plan” had me running about 20 miles on Sunday and I had three options for what I was going to do for those 20 miles.  A buddy in my group posted on Facebook that he was hitting Superstition Peak.  WHAAAAAT?!?!  This is a peak I’ve been wanting to bag for years now.  It’s the highest point around the valley but I don’t know the area or trail system well enough to venture out on my own.  He said it would be about 12 miles total with about 3500 feet of elevation gain.  First I thought I would go out early, tag some of the easier trails to get in a few miles before we met up.  When my alarm went off I decided to roll back over and get a couple more hours of sleep lol.

Well the run ended up being about 8.5 miles and about 3400 feet of elevation gain.  According to “The Plan” I was well short of what I needed.  When I looked back over the run, I completely forgot all about “The Plan” and just enjoyed everything about this running adventure.  It helped remind me how much I truly do love running adventures and need to add more of those into my training.  A little clarification, I’m on trails about 99.99% of the time, but lately those runs have been dedicated to building fitness and endurance.  This run was different.  There was no expectation for time, no pacing that I was trying to hold.  This was truly being out in nature, enjoying the wilderness, and visiting an area that was completely new to me.  When we got to the summit, we sat down, signed the summit book, and just enjoyed the amazing views from the top.  Again, no rush to get off the summit because our pace was suffering, no rush to get off the summit because we needed to be back to the car at a certain time.  100% enjoyable.


Yes that's ice....in Arizona?!?!

Mini waterfall from who knows where
And....the summit

I often forget the joy that this sport brings me and I’m glad that at times a little reminder comes along to refresh my memory.

When was your last adventure?

How do you remind yourself about the joys that this sport brings you

4 comments:

  1. Yup, we all need those reminders! I had as similar experience this weekend. I had planned to do a 9 miler and I just really, really didn't want to. I was going to just skip it altogether. But then later I got the itch to go for a shorter run. I couldn't motivate myself to do the 9, but I could motivate myself to do 5, so I just did that. I could have beat myself up for the missed mileage and skipping a long run...but if shaving a few miles off is the difference between getting out there and staying home, isn't that better in the end? 5 miles is better than none, and if it means skipping a long run to get them in, then I have no regrets. It's not like I'm training for anything now anyway :)

    Staying committed to a plan is important, but sometimes we need to take a time out for fun stuff, too. Life's too short, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today! I felt awful in the beginning of my run, so I hit the trails--without yaktrax. We have frozen snow, so it slowed me WAY down, but I think I really needed a run that I was forced NOT TO CARE about my pace, so it was perfect, and PERFECTLY beautiful too. I feel much more recharged after the trails!
    The summit picture is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so important to take a step back once in awhile and remember why we do what we do. Its so easy to get caught up in number and the day after day of training. Running in a new place is a great way to renew your love of running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful views!

    I love those runs where I forget about The Plan and just have fun. Because you're right, we need to remind ourselves why we do it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!