Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Help Im in a Rut and Cant Get Out

Man oh man I’m in a rut right now….


I’ve been super lazy, been sleeping in until it’s time to head into work, and haven’t been running in the mornings.  I think it’s a combination of cold weather and getting to bed late because when my alarm goes off, all I want to do is get a couple more hours sleep and stay under the warm covers.

Is anyone else having this problem???

None the less, I wanted to give an update on the races/adventures I have coming up.  The 5 Summit Challenge that I blew up in a blaze of glory last weekend was totally spur of the moment.  To be honest, even though I only completed 60% of this challenge, I was pretty happy with my performance.  And even more honesty, I had a small celebration on the trail when I passed mile 15 and had no CRAMPING!!!  I’ll save that for another post because that could get a little long winded and rant filled lol.

So these upcoming events are planned out and pinned on my schedule:

January 7th – Volunteering

This Saturday morning I will be volunteering at the Aravaipa San Tan Scramble trail races.  I’m really excited about this as this will be my very first volunteering gig.  After my 50k a few weeks back, I really had a new appreciation for the on course volunteers.  They did an amazing job supporting us while we were racing and specifically took good care of me when I was in the lowest moments throughout the race.  Because of this I wanted to pay it forward in a small way.  Additionally, we get race credits for volunteering so that is a huge win as well. 


January 15th -  Rock N Roll Half Marathon

Last year I killed this half marathon.  I didn’t have any pre-race goals but came out strong and ended up running my very first sub 1:40.  Honestly this was one of my big accomplishments last year and even to this point I’m still really proud of that race.  So a few months after the race, a great deal came up in my email and right away I thought, “What the h@#$, I’m going for a sub 1:30”.  Fast forward and there have been some big changes in my running life.  I’ve pretty much given up road running, I’ve jumped into the ultra world, and I can honestly say I’m not looking forward to this race.  I wish I hadn’t signed up lol.  I jumped into another training cycle for a race in March so this 13 miles is actually going to be the back end of a back to back with roughly 10-15 miles the day before.  I know a few people doing some first distances like “first 10k” and “first half marathon” so that should be enough to get me out there to at least cheer them on.  As for my race, I’m pretty sure it will turn into a casual run with the GoPro, but we will see.


February 18th – Ultimate Pacer Duty – Black Canyon Ultra 100K

I’m really excited about this pacing job.  After my 50k, my coach mentioned the Black Canyon Ultras and that he was going to be doing the 100k.  They have a 60k distance and he suggested that I look into that.  Once I did some research I saw that the 100k distance gets crew support and pacing.  Being that I am 100% grateful that he helped me train for my 50k, I immediately suggested that I skip “racing” and that I would be willing to crew or pace for him if he needed.  His first response was that he had it covered but something told me not to sign up and wait a bit just in case he ended up needing anything.  Sure enough, I got the call to the big leagues lol.  So I’ll be crewing and then pacing my coach for about 15 miles of his 100k race.  This is going to be AWESOME!!


March 18th – Mesquite Canyon 50k

Some call it crazy, I call it….well crazy….but yes I’ll be jumping into another 50k.  I have about 10 weeks to get ready for this bad boy and the big change is going to be the elevation gain.  This race will have about double the elevation gain my first 50k had so I’ll be logging a ton of vert over the next 8 weeks.  This race should go much better than the first with all the knowledge and experience I’ve gained.  Looking forward to it!!


So there you have it, next three months booked up.  Hopefully I can kick this laziness because I need to get back to a normal running routine.

Is winter slowing down your training cycle?

Any pacing advice

7 comments:

  1. Winter is unintentionally slowing me down just as I finally got back on the wagon. I got sick this week, and next week we have vacation. It's like the universe doesn't want me to get back into a running routine. But, have to keep getting back up when I get knocked down!

    If sleeping in til the last minute and not wanting to get out of bed yet is a rut, then my whole life has been a rut, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you have some big adventures happening soon, time to get the booty in gear LOL I am sure the rest was good for you :)
    The cold doesn't slow me down, just my old body aching...trying to be patient. Now snow, which I may see this weekend will slow me down, I do not run in snow lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an exciting schedule coming up. I look forward to reading about your adventures. I am doing pretty well battling winter. I look forward to hitting the trails during the winter, however, right now they are completely ice. So, I will have to wait a few days for a storm or two. I actually think I do better in the winter than the summer, because I am faster with getting out there. In the summer I tend to procrastinate.
    I imagine the rest is good for your body after an ultra, so don't feel bad. Have fun pacing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to run that Rock and Roll Half Marathon some day!

    I've been slowing down on my training cycle this week too. I don't think is the winter, because we don't really have one in Miami. I actually think the holidays put me on a slacking / lazy mode. I go to bed late and then can't really wake up early for my runs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man, i'm in that same rut, kinda. For some reason, I can't get it together this winter. And it's not even THAT cold, lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have some great things coming up! Its been tough getting out to run lately in the cold, especially when its so dark in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny because I love to run in these winter temps, but I'm sure unmotivated to get out there and even get going! The mornings are so dark [and cozy].

    I'll be cheering on Sunday! Good luck out there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!