Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 23, 2017

A Little Reflection

Hey Everyone,

A little reflective in today’s post, let me explain…

My running group is awesome, as you know, our group leader coached me up for my 50k so in my biased opinion we have the best group leader ever.  The group as a whole is extremely welcoming to new runners and our group runs are all about running together.  Well our group is starting to get a small group of guys that I would consider fast.  Naturally being the ego driven and pride wielding guy that I am, I want to run with the faster guys to gauge my fitness level and see if I can hang with the big boys.  Last week a buddy messaged me that he was headed out on Saturday for about a 20 mile run if I wanted to join.  This was the type of invite that I was waiting for.  In my mind I was telling myself, this is a keep up or be left behind kind of run lol.

I was jacked for this run, it was going to be out at one of the parks I don’t get to run that often, and I get to run with one of the fast guys.  On Thursday I was running with another fast guy and invited him as well which he happily agreed to.  So we were set, three dudes, two of which can really click off some miles and some Schlub trying to keep up.

Saturday was epic. 



It rained most of the day Friday so the trails were a little bit sloppy just the way I like it.  I kept up for the most part and the guys only had to drag me through a couple tough sections at the end.  When all was said and done, we ended up with 19.8 miles and 2,200 feet of elevation gain.

This run got me thinking.  Why do I chase the challenges that I do?  There is a good percentage of these challenges where failure could be the outcome.  I often find myself asking these types of questions:

“can I run that far”
“can I run that fast”
“can I climb that mountain”

The simple answer, I love to overcome.  I thoroughly enjoy challenging myself and pushing myself to the limit simply to find out how far I can go mentally and physically.  There have been and always will be times where I don’t live up to my own expectation or completely fail, but that adds more fuel to the fire to overcome the challenge.  There is this indescribable feeling that we experience when we aren’t quite sure what the outcome is going to be, we fight and crawl through a challenge, and successfully finish on the other side.  It’s that feeling that I’m chasing when I accept challenges that make other people question my sanity lol.

The question is…

When was the last time you pushed past your limits??

7 comments:

  1. I love to check off lists, then make more ambitious goals to check off. Again and again. I thought I pushed past my limits qualifying for Marathon Maniacs in November, but now I realize that I didn't! But I do need to go for that BQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a great run! Its awesome to push yourself and accomplish goals. I think alot of times my own self-doubt holds me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this post. Great job pushing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, are you me? I like to take my ego out for a run every now and again and hang with the fast runners. It feels good to push myself every once and a while. I do have to be somewhat restrained most of the time because in order to keep my volume up, I can't be exhausting myself on non-workout days. Plus I don't want to end up injured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went for my first group run with this training cycle on Saturday. I was nervous going out--The plan was 9 miles (I would make it 14 on my own) but to have 2 miles where 2 of the guys ticked off 7:05 pace. Well, I made it through the run, and then some, but afterwards I felt the NEED to work so that I can eventually get up there and hang with the fast guys. Just even having that "spark" of competitiveness was exciting, and has given me the desire to try and work hard to overcome. Will I make it? Yes, eventually!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great long run! are you training for another race??
    It feels good to push limits. If i had mountains close enough I would be going up and down them a lot more than I do. I have a passion for those steep climbs!
    These days pushing for me doesn't mean I am fast lol but that is okay, I pushed my Sunday and got more out my legs than I had in awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not a schlub anymore my friend! You are one of the fast guys who can click off the miles no big deal!

    Great job hanging with the guys and meeting the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!