Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Schlubbing Recap 10/31 - 11/6

Happy Tuesday Everyone!



Before I get into my weekly recap from last week, I have to tell you about the injury scare I got yesterday.  Can you believe that, three and a half weeks out from my race?!?! What the H@#$?!?!


I went to bed a bit late on Sunday because I stayed up watching The Walking Dead.  Come Monday morning I didn’t feel like getting up to run so I moved a portion of my run to lunchtime on Monday.  I was able to cut out some time and hit the mountain on my lunch break.  Legs were a bit sluggish but the climb went reasonably well.  On the descent, I lost my footing and my foot slid out from under me.  I was able to reach behind me and catch myself but as my foot slid out, my heel hit flat down on a rock.  I finished the run no problem but once I was back in the office I felt a tender spot on my heel.  When I got home I found a small quarter size bruise on my heel.  I was freaking out and texting my coach like crazy.  I ended up icing a bit last night, got up this morning, and had a pretty solid run.  I can still feel that spot but I think it will be ok after a couple days.  Being 100% honest, I was getting worried lol.

Now on to my weekly recap.  For those that don’t want to read through all the details:

Total Miles – 18.77 miles
Total Elevation Gain – 2,074 feet

Monday, October 31st – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: Rest Day
Sleeping in YAY!!  I completed 24 miles the day before so it was guaranteed that I was taking advantage of the rest day.  We did get some activity later that night since it was Halloween and we spent some time trick or treating with the kids.


Tuesday, November 1st – Planned: 5 miles     Actual: 2.71 miles
Sleeping in YAY!!  My legs were still pretty wrecked from the hard back to back weekend so I had to make some changes to the plan.  I slept in Tuesday morning and honestly thought I was going to turn the whole day into a rest day.  As I was working I decided I needed to get out of the office and stretch my legs.  I headed over to a park near my work that has a bunch of Pokestops for Pokemon Go.  Side note, I originally downloaded the game so my daughter could plan while we were out and about.  Now I occasionally jump on there to catch some Pokemon, it makes these casual runs a bit more fun.  Run ended up being a lot of walking with only a hint of jogging for 2.71 miles and no elevation gain.

Wednesday, November 2nd – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: 2.01 miles
Sleeping in YAY!!  This was a late night run walk with Buster to shake out the legs.  Just ran around our neighborhood for a couple miles to see how the legs were feeling.  Run ended up being right at 2 miles with no elevation gain.

Thursday, November 3rd – Planned: 5 miles     Actual: 3.01 miles
You can see a trend with last week’s training.  I decided to sleep in and would be getting out on the mountain during my lunch break.  Kept the effort pretty casual although I did notice that the climbing was a bit more difficult than I remember.  Not sure if that’s from the residual fatigue from the heavy miles last week or if I need to do more hill repeats, but it was definitely noticeable.  Run ended up being 3 miles with 800 feet of elevation gain.

Friday, November 4th – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: 5.15 miles
I was planning to sleep in and possibly take the rest day or at the very least run on my lunch break again.  Then my coach reached out and asked if I was planning to run.  He was thinking of doing a 9 mile loop that is pretty fun because it hits just about all the trails in the park that we regularly do our runs.  No convincing needed, I jumped at the chance as it would also give us some time to catch up on training and make sure things are going well.  Great run but I think coach was in the early stages of a bug because later that day he messaged me that he wouldn’t be at our group run on Saturday morning.  Good thing we cut the 9 miles down to 5 miles for our usually out and back.  Run ended up being 5.15 miles with 780 feet of elevation gain.

Saturday, November 5th – Planned: 5 miles     Actual: 5.89 miles
We were headed up north for the weekend so I wanted to get my run out of the way which meant I could dedicate the whole weekend to family time.  We started the group run at 7 am with two distance groups.  One group was doing a 7.5 mile loop and the other was doing a 4.5 mile loop.  I started with the group that was doing the 4.5 mile loop then met back up with the 7.5 mile group to finish off my run.  Run ended up being 5.89 miles with 450 feet of elevation gain.



Rest of Saturday we headed up north, checked into our hotel, went out for some fishing, had a nice family dinner, hit the indoor pool and Jacuzzi, and then watched movies in the hotel room for the rest of the night.  Well the rest of the family watched movies, I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow lol.

Sunday, November 6th – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: Rest Day
We had to pack up and head back home.  We tried to get a little fishing in before we left but didn’t snag anything this time.  So we jumped in the truck and headed back home.  We spent the rest of the day getting chores done and getting things ready for the school/work week.

Totals, October 31st – November 6th – Total for the week was 18.77 miles and 2074 feet of elevation gain.

This week was all about recovery.  I took full advantage of the recovery week that was build into my plan as I’m sure my body really needed it after 55 miles the week before.  I also took advantage of the free weekend to spend some time with the family since running has been taking up so much of my time these last few weeks.  Lastly, it really allowed me to gear up for the week ahead.  This week is the biggest week in my training cycle and is the main training week before I begin to taper off for the race.  I’m feeling ready to go and want to put in a nice hard week before I wind down for the race.

Things are still coming together at the perfect time!

How often to you incorporate recovery weeks into your training plans?  Every 2 weeks?  Every 3 weeks?

When do you get the opportunity to sleep in these days

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking full advantage of your recovery week! It's amazing how our bodies thank us for taking it easy sometimes.

    I miss sleeping in. A lot. Please tell me you get to sleep in again when your kids get older...some day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't believe your race is that close! Seems like yesterday you were announcing your plan to run it, now you're staring your taper in the face.

    I'm glad your heel is fine! That is a stressful situation, the kind you find yourself half awake at night in bed, worst case scenario-ing about the damage you might've done. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, I can not believe you slipped and bruised your heel, that would make one go into panic mode. I shredded my legs the week after my 20 miler doing speed work, I was nervous I may never recover. To be honest I can still feel a little fatigued when I run and the race is Saturday! I am much improved from where i was a few weeks ago though.
    Taking advantage of sleep is important!! You need it, especially since you stay so busy. You training has been so solid, I think you are set up to have a great race experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your heel feels ok! I usually take a cut back week every 3 weeks or so when I am training. I never sleep in any more, mostly because my body doesn't let me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your heel is okay! Yikes!

    I used to take recovery weeks every third week, so two weeks hard, one week easy. This year I have just been taking them as needed, which is probably about once/month.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!