Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, November 28, 2016

Race Week...Ahhhhhhhh lol

Happy Monday!!


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.


We are officially in race week.  My first ever 50k is going down this Saturday.  Can you believe it??  It feels like just weeks ago I was announcing in a post that I was tackling my first 50k….crazy!!



Although I was taking things pretty easy last week, I still had plenty of activity to keep my legs active. 

Thursday – Thanksgiving day there was a group of about 6 guys meeting up to burn off some calories before the massive feast that each of us planned to have.  I decided to join and knock out some easy miles.  I really had to stay committed to my plan for a couple reasons.  #1 the guys planned to run about 9 miles and I only had 5 miles on my plan.  It would have been easy to tag along and enjoy the run but I really wanted to focus on sticking to the plan.  So I ran with the group for the first 2.5 miles then headed back to the car for a nice 5 mile out and back.  #2 there were essentially two pace groups, a fast group out front and a casual group bringing up the rear.  Again, it would have been easy to click off miles with the fast group but I decided to stick with the casual group and keep the effort level real low.

Friday – Turkey Bowl Football day.  Each year around Thanksgiving my church throws a mini football tournament for all of us old men who want to relive our glory days.  At a high level this looked like an accident waiting to happen with any number of collisions or twisted ankles that could have occurred.  But all in all it was a good day, legs felt great, and I had a great time with a lot of the guys I know from my church. 

Saturday – Little bit of an error on my part.  Our normal group run was getting out for about 7.5 miles.  I only had 5 on my plan but decided that I would casually run the full loop with the group.  Adding an extra couple miles wasn’t going to be a big deal.  When I showed up we had a pretty large group turn out for the post Turkey Day run.  Our assumption was that everyone wanted to burn off all the food and desserts they ate for Thanksgiving.  Once again we had two pace groups and I surely couldn’t pass up another opportunity to show the fast guys that I could hang with them right?!?!  So yeah, I bombed away at miles with the fast group and I ran these miles a lot harder than I planned to.  Outside of my effort level being higher than planned, it was a great day, and once again my legs felt great.

Sunday – Full rest day!!  Spent most of the day putting up Christmas decorations.  Legs were a little tight from football on Friday and the group run on Saturday but I knew this whole week would be SUPER light and plenty of time for my legs to recover.


So here we are, race week!!

Any last minute advice for this weekend?? – I plan to drink a gallon of water each day this week to make sure I’m properly hydrated lol

6 comments:

  1. HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!! I KNOW YOU MUST BE SO PUMPED FOR SATURDAY!

    Of course you had to hang with the guys on Saturday, but you have all week to recover. Enjoy your well deserved final week of taper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! A gallon LOL That sounds about perfect :)
    Sending all the good vibes your way Saturday!!! Go crush it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! I'm sending positive thoughts your way. You've trained so hard, you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!! It's almost here!! You've done so much hard work. I am excited for you!! have a great race Schlubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I can't wait to hear about your race. Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's crazy it's already here! Time has a way of never stopping. :P

    But GOOOOOOD LUCK!! You've done the work, now go enjoy the miles!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!