Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Lessons Learned Part 4

Happy Thursday everyone!!


Don’t worry, one more day until the weekend and I’m sure most of us only have a few days to work next week before the big Thanksgiving feast.  I'm power eating for the 50K so I plan to put down some food lol.

This is post #4 in a series dedicated to those areas in my training that I’ve had to work through some trial and error to find out what works best for me.

Today’s Topic – Realization

I’m just going to be upfront and throw my cards on the table, I’m done with road running.  


Throughout this training cycle it has become blatantly evident that my body adapted much better to trail running than it did to road running.  I was talking to my coach this morning on our run and reflecting back to my preparation for my first and second marathons.  I remember the sheer pounding that my body was taking during those 15 – 20 mile runs.  My legs were trashed and it felt like my legs took forever to recover.

This past weekend I put in 40+ miles between Saturday and Sunday.  Both days I took some Ibuprofen after my run and later that evening my legs were feeling pretty good and I was up and moving around.  Not to mention on the runs themselves, I could feel that my legs were tired but I still had the ability to click off miles when needed.  I am fully aware that my base, my build up, and my overall training cycle has been light-years better but I can’t deny the facts.  My body feels amazing and I never felt this way during road race training.


The first realization that I was done with roads came a couple weeks ago.  I woke up late one morning and I considered running around my neighborhood to make sure I got my miles in rather than drive to the trails and miss out on some miles.  Well there wasn’t much debate, I jumped in the car and simply got as many miles as I could.  There was a great loathing when I had the thought of 10 – 15 miles around my neighborhood.  Now I still go for a run here and there around my neighborhood so I can get Buster ready for bed but that isn’t any more than 2 miles.

The second realization has been repeatedly popping into my head while I’m out for hours on my long runs.  I am currently signed up for the RnR Half Marathon here in Phoenix next January, and I am 100% regretting that sign up lol.  Originally I had PR on my mind when a good deal came up on my email and I jumped on the registration.  I had an amazing race earlier this year and ran 1:39 for the half marathon.  My goal quickly became 1:29 which would be a pretty amazing achievement.  Being 100% honest, since joining my current running group, and training for this 50k…..no desire at all to run the RnR.  I get more excited looking in the other direction.  How awesome would it be to run a 50 miler?  What about a 100k?  What about a 100 miler?  OMG what if I ever ran Western States or Hardrock or any of the other epic ultra marathons??  Now that gets me excited.

As of right now my focus is on the 50k in two weeks.  In the back of my mind I’m pretty sure I’m running the RnR Half, I don’t want to waste the registration fee, I’m cheap lol.

But again, I’m pretty set on my feelings towards road races and the realization that I truly enjoy trail running.

Do you prefer road running or trail running?

What recent realizations have you made in your running life?? 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. I'm glad you've decided to go in a direction that makes you happier. As for the half marathon, if you really don't want to do it, then just don't. I understand not wanting to waste the money, but the money is already spent at this point. It's a sunk cost. You can't get the money back but you CAN choose not to spend extra time, stress, and energy on a race you don't want to do. I DNSed 3 races this fall - a total of about $90 in registration fees - and I don't regret it because the happiness I felt at not having to go was worth more than the money I would have "saved" by hauling my miserable self to the races. Life's too short.

    My realization is that I'm done having time goals for my races. It's just too much stress for something that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather just try my best in training, have a balanced life, and be happy with whatever that gets me on race day, PR or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My coach's wife is a big trail runner too, and she thinks the streets are really boring. But I LOVE them!!

    I suppose you would probably want to do some street running to prepare your legs for the 1/2 marathon on the road, but at the same time it's only a 1/2, you probably don't need to do too much.

    But I'm happy you found what you love! I know you were bummed about your marathon experiences (which I still think you need to give another shot!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it was easier to run on trails around here. I need to drive about 25 minutes away. Once I get back up to longer distances I may go there on the weekends, but its not worth the short distances Im doing now! However, it would be interesting to see if I stopped getting hurt if I started running on trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like mixing it up. I can't go on the trails here for another month--hunting season. I enjoy trails, but I am always nervous about getting lost, and feel a bit unsafe doing long distances on my own. Luckily, Dave is usually game for going with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!