Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, November 7, 2016

Lessons Learned Part 3

Happy Monday Everyone!!


Let’s be real, Monday’s flat out stink lol.  But on a better note, we are officially 4 weeks away from the 50K.  Yikes!!!

This is the third post in a series dedicated to those areas in my training that I’ve had to work through some trial and error to find out what works best for me.

Today’s Topic – Balance

This whole running thing takes a lot of time and dedication.  Those of us that have trained for a marathon know that between training runs, recovery, fueling, strength training (although I don’t ever do strength training), and many other items, the training cycle becomes a second job.  It’s easy to get engulfed by it which leads to other aspects in our lives to get neglected.

For me, I do as much as I can to get my runs knocked out so they don’t impact my family time or family events.  This is a big reason why I run before work at 4am so that when I get home from work it’s all about homework, family dinner, sports practice, church group, or whatever else we have on our schedule.  Even with those attempts, there are still those times when I’m going to bed early because I have a big run the next day, or I’m taking a nap because I just got done with a big run that morning.

Point being, when you get the chance to tip the scale and add more balance, you take that chance.  Two weeks ago was a big week for me and a lot of time was spent on running.  So last week was a major recovery week and outside of a planned 5 mile run on Saturday, my weekend was actually free.  I decided to suggest to Mrs. Schlub that we get out of town for the weekend and spend some quality family time up north.  We grabbed a hotel, did some fishing, and just had a nice relaxing weekend.  The whole family/work/running balance is ever evolving and takes a ton of trial and error, but keeping that balance is super important. 

I have to say, the weather was amazing and the views were gorgeous, definitely one of our favorite spots in AZ.



How do you keep your family/running balance in check?

When your deep in a training cycle, what tends to get neglected the most

6 comments:

  1. I'm like you - I usually run at 4am. Unfortunately, since I'm a SLOW runner, when doing more weekly mileage, there were a few times I'd get up at 2 or 2:30 to fit things in.

    I'm not sure that would work out so well now that we have a little one. Next time, I might have to find a training plan that isn't quite so high-mileage during the week. There will definitely be a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I ease back into running, I'm trying to switch to morning running again so that I can have more balance, for all the reasons you list. I almost wish I had more family/work obligations in the evening, because it would be a little easier to get up for those AM workouts if I HAD to. I just try to remember how good it feels to get my run out of the way early and come home from work knowing I can just CHILL.

    One thing that really helps me with balance during training is to spend time with friends/family who aren't runners or at least aren't in training. I think as serious runners we have a tendency to get a little wrapped up in our own lives, and it helps to be reminded that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around our training. I would always feel so refreshed after taking a break to hang out with new people and do something not related to running, like volunteer or catch up with an old friend. It helped put all my training stresses in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say when I am in the thick of training I tend to get behind on housework. I often will nap on the weekend afternoons too. However, the kids LOVE that I am in full "eatwhateverIwant" mode, and love all the ice cream cravings. I think they appreciate the dedication though. I don't have to get up as early, I try and hit the road by 5am--the nice thing about having teenagers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding balance can be difficult, especially with a family, and I only have one toddler! Since Ben and I are both training, there are some weekends we do nothing but run, recover, EAT, and go to bed at like 8. We are exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be tough to manage it all. I run in the morning so I don't have to worry about it after work. My husband is also a runner so that makes it a little easier. I slack on alot of other things but I figure I can always get back to those when the race is over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I am deep in training everything besides running and napping gets neglected :). Like you said, it feels like a second job once your mileage gets high enough because you have to plan your weekend around it!

    I'm glad you and Mrs. Schlub got away for a weekend though. I think that's really important. During training Adam understands that I'm working towards a goal, but I try to make sure we have time to do things together that are fun every once in a while. Although he pretends to think watching me nap is fun, which is really sweet of him lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!