Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, November 10, 2016

I'll Take Some of That

Welcome to Thursday!!


Let me start by saying that I’m having a solid week.  Knowing that this is my last BIG week before I start to taper, I’ve been trying to really push my runs and my mileage.  Looking at my plan, I was scheduled for 66 miles this week which is a massive amount of miles for me.  As I looked at the 66 miles, I started to ask myself…”I wonder if I can hit 70 miles this week??” 


We have been having some strange weather here in AZ lately.  Both Tuesday and Wednesday when I was on my run, I was faced with pretty strong winds.  Yesterday was super windy and I was doing hill repeats by myself until I met up with a small group of guys for some additional miles.  A nice cool breeze is always welcomed but this was a strong wind where I had to push through quite a bit.  I just kept telling myself that race day is going to have some really low points and these hill repeats all by myself are really helping me mentally.  I got through but it was not enjoyable at all lol, it was miserable.

I woke up this morning and as I was getting ready I could hear the wind outside again.  Blah!!  Before I got all my stuff together I went outside to check the weather…yup strong wind again.  H#$% with this, I’m going back to bed LOL.


Yup you guessed it, I decided to pass up another miserable run in the wind and get some extra sleep.  I don’t feel bad about this at all and actually feel rested and refreshed.  I’ve obviously put in a lot of work so far this week so my body was a little bit drained.  Now, between lunch today and my normal off day tomorrow I’ll be able to make up the miles I missed this morning.  The true test is going to be this weekend when I have a 13 mile and 24 mile back to back weekend.  If I stick to my plan I should be able to crack that 70 mile mark for the week.  Not sure why but that feels like a huge accomplishment and honestly gives me a lot of confidence heading into the taper.

Wish me luck, so far my body had been holding up and I’ve been feeling really strong.

What is the highest weekly mileage you’ve ever hit during training?

What are some milestones you hit during training that really boost your confidence? 20+ mile run?  Holding race pace for XX number miles

4 comments:

  1. 13 and 24 back to back sounds exhausting! Take them miles easy :)
    That should give you all the confidence you need! You have trained so well, you really do go this :)
    For me, that 20 mile run was a huge boost in training. 70 is a crazy number lol 40 is my big number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 70 miles!! Now that is something to be proud of! I think my highest mileage week is in the lower 50's. I can't tolerate too many miles! I think it is those challenging runs where weather is a factor, or fatigue, when I am like, "if I can finish in this, I will be ready for anything..."
    Congrats on a great training cycle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing great and totally deserved a day of sleeping in! 70 miles is amazing! I think the most I have ever run in a week is around 65. (And that sounds crazy right now as I am running less than 20 miles a week)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest confidence boost I had was during marathon training when I completed an 11 mile tempo run. When I saw the run on my training schedule, I thought I'd never make it - I'd never run that far that fast. When I not only did it, but felt strong the whole time - I felt unstoppable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!