Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Follow Up to Part 2 and Recovery Week Epicness

Happy Thursday Everyone!!


I wanted to start out by following up on my post from Tuesday.  I went over all this epic enlightenment about “Embracing the Suck” and how sometimes this sport that we all love just flat out sucks sometimes.  It was some of your comments that gave me that “Oh My Gosh Your Right” moment and wanted to just follow up real quick.

Hanna over at the newly published Minimal Marathoner (GO CHECK IT OUT!!!) made the comment that a lot of bloggers make it seem as though all runs should be great and in some cases that bad runs do not happen.  I have to admit that here on my blog I don’t do a very good job of breaking down my bad runs for the benefit of others.  I have A LOT of bad runs and do not share enough information on those runs for readers and other runners to benefit from those experiences.  I am usually of two mindsets when it comes to my bad runs:

1)      One and Done


When I have a bad run, I usually chalk it up as a bad run, forget about it as soon as I take my shoes off, and then move onto the next run.  At this stage in my running life I know that certain things are going to derail a run.  A few examples are: not enough sleep, bad fueling and hydration, the weather, and of course my personal favorite…too many beverages the night before LOL.  Knowing that I’m good for one bad run per week, I just throw it out and move onto the next day.  Honestly, I really need to do a better job of breaking down these runs, not only for my own benefit but also for the benefit of others.  I think we can all agree that we learn just as much, if not more, from a bad run as we do from a good run.

2)      Skeletons in the Closet


This is my exact mindset when it comes to my two marathon disasters.  Just thinking about the terrible performance pisses me off and gets me all wound up.  I know I know, I got all the comments like… “At least you finished” … “You still finished in a decent time” … and so on.  I don’t mean to digress but I have a certain expectation for my performances and when I don’t meet that expectation, it pisses me off, can’t explain it in any other way lol.  Back to my point, I get so mad at myself when I think about or talk about these experiences that it’s easier to just throw it in the closet and forget about it.  BUT, just like the bad runs, I need to do a better job of breaking these runs down and using them to benefit my future runs and hopefully someone out there in the blog world.

After reading the comments I just wanted to touch on that, I know it’s a sore spot for me and really need to do a better job in that area.

On to more positive subjects, man oh man this recovery week has been pure EPICNESS!!!


Last week was a huge week for me.  My legs were wrecked after all the miles and the elevation gain so my body definitely needed some down time.  I’ve taken advantage and slept in a few days (well sleeping in for me, which is like 5am lol), kept my runs really light, and honestly I have not felt bad at all about the minimal running effort I’ve had this week. 

Also, the last couple days I was concerned that either my allergies were acting up or I was getting a cold which was another reason why this recovery week was needed.  I am feeling good today so I should be ready to knock out a huge week again next week. 

Do you properly evaluate your bad runs or do you try to forget them like I do?

How do you feel about those recovery weeks? Normally when my legs feel good I’m all about running but honestly this week has been A-M-A-Z-I-N-G lol

5 comments:

  1. I love recovery weeks...but I always feel like I'm cheating, or that I'll lose fitness (even though I know logically that this isn't the case).

    I think I would fall into your "one and done" category. The only time I dwell is when I know I copped out and cut things short when I didn't need to. Other than that, I'm usually really happy that I finished, even though it was hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely "one and done" with my bad runs. My philosophy for both bad AND good runs is, put it in the bank, and move on. One run is not the be all end all of everything. Thanks for the shoutout!! :)

    Recovery weeks are my favorite part of training. The hard weeks are what make them so worth it - you really can't appreciate something until you have a chance to miss it. It's like how being super busy and traveling a lot makes you really appreciate the days you can just lounge at home. I could lounge at home any time, but it feels so good when it's more of a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget about my bad runs pretty quickly, unless I have multiple in a row, then I stress. haha! I've also learned bad runs happen.

    You one day need to get out and run another street 26.2. You seem to have learned a lot since you ran those races and your chances of having a much better race I would say have skyrocketed. My first marathon I ran in 5:03 and I logged that away so fast because I had no idea I wouldn't even come in under 5. It wasn't even a consideration, but I had no idea what I was doing. I eventually came back to the distance and have taken 1:07 off that time and have plans to keep on going. The nice thing about my "redemption" marathon is no longer do I think about the first experience and how frustrating it was. DO IT. PHOENIX 2017! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha my marathons are in the closet too. I don't love to think about or talk about them with anyone unless it will benefit that person in some way.

    It's tough when we train so hard to end up with less than desirable results, but I think this happens to everyone at some point.

    The marathon doesn't matter anymore right now for you anyway, because you're about to do something so much more exciting - the ultra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love recovery weeks. I have gotten used to the idea of difficult runs--I have a lot of them :). Trying a go at Boston again this year, with hopefully, better results! I was OK with my slower pace last year, it happens!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!