Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, October 3, 2016

Throwback and Another Solid Weekend

Hey Everyone, Happy Monday!!


Let’s start with a little Schlubbing Throwback.  As I was coming home from my run this weekend, I had that strange happiness where your body is exhausted and your legs are absolutely trash, but you are completely happy because it was a hard workout, and the sense of accomplishment is awesome.  So as I’m driving, I start thinking back to when I started this whole trail running thing.  I did some searching around on the blog and came across a post from February 2014.  First off let me say, my writing sucked back then lol.  If anyone is still hanging around from way back then, good Lord I owe you a huge thank you because I can’t even read my posts from back then without wincing.  But reading over this post, it was the first time I attempted the mountain by my work.  I can’t say that was the light bulb that went off because I was using that training for my road races, but that was a small step in this direction.  The direction that now has me full blown training for my first 50k ultra race in December.  Just a little throwback on this Monday morning.  I suggest just reading the recap here because the writing back then is not worth going back and reading the whole post lol.

Quick training update, this weekend was both pretty epic and pretty brutal. 

FRIDAY:
I’ve always preferred to take Friday off before my long runs and now with many of my weekends including back to back runs, I thought the day off would be helpful.  Well I happen to have some bad influences in my running group lol.  The guys were getting together for a longer run on Friday morning that included a pretty awesome route that hit just about all the trails in the park.  Right away that had me intrigued and I wanted to join, 9 extra miles doesn’t make a difference does it?!?!  It was a great run, I ended up cutting off a smaller loop but it only saved me about ½ a mile…damn lol.  The closing mile is all downhill so we ended with a fast finish which felt great but I’m sure that was not beneficial for the rest of my weekend.


SATURDAY:
Saturday we had a community service event early in the morning so I couldn’t join running group.  I decided to run after our event and man oh man that was a bad decision.  We were doing some maintenance at a local school so I was on my feet the whole time doing basic labor and that made my legs pretty sluggish.  I ran in the middle of the day, temps were around 95*, and was totally exposed with sun just beating down on me.  I got to the 3.5 mile mark and was just DONE!!  I turned at that point and just headed home.  I was so glad this suffer fest was done, and immediately forgot all about how much that sucked.


SUNDAY:
Sunday was workday, I had 18 miles on the plan.  This run was solid!!  I went with PB&J for my fueling again and I’m really liking this system.  Overall the total time on feet was 3 hrs 3 min and I was spot on finishing all 18 miles.  My legs were trash by the end of the run but I felt like I could of kept churning out miles which is a huge confidence booster.  Oh I forgot to mention, the views were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!




Then we hit the running store and got Mrs. Schlub some new running shoes.  They didn’t have the color she wanted to we had to order them and expedite shipping.  She should have them in a couple days and then she is off and running.  (See what I did there lol)

In a way this weekend turned into a back to back to back weekend but my legs held up great and I’m in a great place mentally.  These next two weeks are going to be tough on my training schedule because I feel like I need a cut back week but we are also taking a weeklong trip to Mexico next week.  I’d hate to lose any fitness over these next two weeks because I’m being lazy.  My legs feel good today, not too much damage from this weekend so I’m hoping I can have a solid week and really have a cut back next week while we are in Mexico.  We shall see!!!

Do you ever go back and read over old posts on your blog?

3 comments:

  1. Totally beautiful sunrise! That is great your long run went so well :) I need to try the PB & J next. I did eat a cliff bar on my 14 miler and my tummy did well, I can't say I felt energetic though lol
    I laugh when I read my old posts...I could barely run 7 or 8 miles some days and it is odd to think about how hard that seemed at at the time.
    It is nice you are doing so much service work! I hope you have a good trip to Mexico. Tell yourself you will be stronger with rest...they say belief is half the battle right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've been here since 2014! :D Best friends forever!

    Ohh I'm glad Mrs. Schlub waited and got the color she wanted. I bought a pair once in the color the store had and not what I wanted and it bugged me every single day until I was ready for a new pair!

    Vacation in mexico! That is going to be awesome. It will be HUMID as heck probably but it will be fun to run in a different spot -- and after your run you can kick back and relax all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mexico! How fun! take some photos! beautiful scenery on that run! hey I'm going to go back and see how bad that post was.....:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!