Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, October 31, 2016

Schlubbing Recap 10/24 - 10/30

Happy Monday Everyone!


I have to be honest, I’ve been of two minds when I go back over last week’s running.  On one hand, a few of the runs were brutal, had me suffering to finish, and really put a hurting on my legs.  Then on the other hand, there were so many new accomplishments that came up throughout the week that my confidence is really increasing.

For those that don’t want to read through all the details:

Total Miles – 55 miles
Total Elevation Gain – 6,066 feet

Monday, October 24th – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: Rest Day
Over the weekend I had back to back runs planned and ended up with 7.5 on Saturday and 15.5 on Sunday.  I was really looking forward to the rest day.  Nothing in particular, went to work and then came home.  Did the best I could to let my legs recover.


Tuesday, October 25th – Planned: 8 miles     Actual: 7.5 miles
My running buddies were doing hill repeats but that is typically about 4-5 miles in total distance.  Since I needed to get 8 I decided to hit some different trails to get in a longer run.  The loop that I chose has a pretty good amount of climbing and requires a long steady climb for the first 3 miles.  You get some descent in the middle then have some more climbing at the end.  Legs were pretty well recovered from the weekend and this actually turned into a pretty smooth run.  Run ended up being 7.5 miles with 1100 feet of elevation gain.

Wednesday, October 26th – Planned: 10 miles     Actual: 9 miles
I decided to run a double loop on a trail with a little less elevation gain.  Trying to get 10 miles and still make it to work, I needed something a bit more runable.  I hammered the first loop pretty hard and got back to the car at a really good time.  As I was topping off my water, some runners from my run group were starting the same loop so I was able to tag along with them to finish off my second loop.  Worked out perfectly!  Run ended up being 9 miles with 600 feet of elevation gain.

Thursday, October 27th – Planned: 5 miles     Actual: 4 miles
Hill repeats with the guys.  This was on the back end of a week full of longer runs so I was forcing myself to pull back on the effort.  Normally I try to power up the repeats to get the legs burning and get a really solid workout.  During this run I decided to power hike a lot of the climbs so I can still get a workout but minimize the impact to my legs.  Run ended up being 4 miles with 1200 feet of elevation gain.

Friday, October 28th – Planned: Rest Day     Actual: Rest Day
Once again I was looking forward to the rest day.  I think the best thing about the rest days during the week is that I don’t have to wake up at 3am to get out for my run.  I get to sleep in for a few extra hours which really helps.

Saturday, October 29th – Planned: 10 miles    Actual: 10 miles
First day on another back to back weekend.  This was a BRUTAL run!  We were celebrating a friend’s birthday party the night before.  Of course I ended up staying out later than I planned and also had a few more “beverages” than I planned.  We had youth baseball at 8am that morning so waking up at 3am to run for a couple hours was not going to happen.  We went to baseball and I finally got out for my run around 11am.  Well here in AZ we forgot that it’s supposed to be Fall and we are supposed to have nice weather.  The temps were hovering around 90* when I was starting my run and that was No Bueno.  I was suffering and grinding through the entire run.  Regardless, I powered through and got this run finished.  Looking back now, I’m glad I got that heat training in and mentally pushed through the elements.  It’s really going to help when I get to the 50k.  Run ended up being 10 miles with 800 feet of elevation gain.

Sunday, October 30th – Planned: 24 miles     Actual: 24 miles



Here was the focus of my entire weekend.  Once again Mrs. Schlub and I were out the night before.  We had a Halloween party to attend and had a lot of fun.  Mrs. Schlub even won the consume contest, how cool is that.  Difference was that I made much better decisions on what I was consuming this night lol.  We didn’t have any plans on Sunday so I was able to get a decent amount of sleep before heading out to the trails.  Took me a bit longer to get all my aid station items ready for the run so I ended up getting started a bit later than I wanted.  I started on my own as the sun was coming up and planned to meet up with my coach after about an hour.  I took things a bit slow through the first few miles to let me legs warm up, I was a bit concerned that I would be hurting from the day before.  Surprisingly, my legs warmed up just fine and things started to click.  After about 5 miles I met up with my coach and things got a lot easier as we talked through all the BS that guys talk thought on their runs.  Dropped off my coach and I was at roughly 13 miles.  Not going to lie, I was pretty down that I had another 10 miles to go lol.  So I headed back out with the intention of two more loops.  Well things started to get interesting, the heat was on full blast again and things got hard real quick.  I made it to my car and took some extra time to prepare myself for the last 5 mile loop.  Sat in the shade for a bit, threw on a dry headband, washed off my head and face, and ate an extra banana. Headed off knowing that I was really going to be grinding on this last loop.  My legs were obviously tired but I was still clicking away on the flats and the descents.  I made the decision to power hike the climbs to conserve energy and this made things really manageable.  The last mile and a half is all downhill and all I could think about was the ice cold water that I had in my truck lol.  Run ended up being 24 miles with 2300 feet of elevation gain.

Totals, October 24th – October 30th – Total for the week was 55 miles and 6000 feet of elevation gain.

Couple things to take away from this week:

Fueling – For most of the day fueling was spot on.  I started to get hungry towards the end of the day which I will be better prepared for next time.  The run had a bit more elevation gain than I planned and I didn’t plan for so many miles in the heat.  Both items require a lot more effort which in turn requires more energy and calories.  This is something that can easily be fixed.

Confidence – This was a tough week, easily the most miles in one week that I have ever run and on top of that I threw down another week of 6000 feet of elevation gain.  It’s easy to look back at the week and be upset about all the grinding I had to do but that is far from my mindset right now.  I’m over and above excited about how my body held up through some tough miles this week and look forward to a recover week this week.  After my recover week I have one last big week and then its taper time.  Things are starting to come together.

When was the last run you had where you had to grind through a majority of the run?

4 comments:

  1. wow! I wonder if your coach joined you for the "middle 10" of your long run as also mental training. I know how challenging that can be to run with someone, and then have to finish on your own; especially a long run! Kudos to you for sticking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, you are such a beast!! This is awesome. That is huge mileage and 24 miles is a fantastic long run. I had to grind through my 20 - different elements, huge wind gusts and traffic out the ying yang, but I think that grinding through is good for you! You didn't quit. You rocked it.
    I enjoy my adult beverages too but they suck the life out of me lol I have been avoiding them this training cycle.
    Great job, you are ready to rock the ultra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, way to go! I like to think that those miserable runs add the most to your fitness bank for race day. You are killing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are pretty hard core. I have so much trouble keeping focused. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!