Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Back in Action

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!

Well I’m finally back to work and vacation is officially over.  We got back into town on Friday and had kids sports Friday night and Saturday morning.  After that we took the rest of the weekend to unpack and get everything back in order…oh yeah and be pretty lazy lol.

Vacation was amazing, we have tons and tons of pictures so we will see how many I can share here and there before all of you get sick of them. 






We spent a lot of time playing in the ocean, playing in the pool, enjoying delicious Mexican food, and a few too many cervezas.  I did get in a few runs while we were vacationing which even included a little jaunt on the old Dreadmill, yikes that was brutal.  Coming out of vacation I had two different points of view on running at the beach.

#1 – The adventuring was AWESOME!  I could have spent hours roaming around the beach searching for seashells and marine life.  Each day that we were down by the beach I was coming back with handfuls of shells that were so unique and beautiful but of course were gifts for my daughter.  Pretty cool National Geographic moment, my GoPro and I had a crazy encounter with a crab in one of the tide pools which made for some pretty awesome footage.  Overall the stopping and investigating all the cool stuff on the beach and in low tide was super cool.

#2 – The running was pretty boring.  Don’t get me wrong, the beach is gorgeous, the sunrise was gorgeous, and the sound of the waves was peaceful.  But while I was in the process of running, it was tough to get past the same scenery over and over.  At one point I was about 4 miles away from our resort and just looking way down the beach to see how far I was from the end of my run was pretty discouraging.  Sorry beach dwelling friends, we won’t be making the jump to beach front any time soon lol.

Now that we are back, I told Mrs. Schlub that I really need to get into training mode.  I am roughly 8 weeks out from the 50k and I know that is going to fly by and the race will be here before I know it.  Along with Sage, I’ve been following Ultra Runner Jim Walmsley since his epic performance at Western States this year and I was watching an interview he recently did with The Ginger Runner.  In the interview he went over a lot of his training and I was just amazed by how much he pushes himself to be at the level he is and to also keep striving to be better.  I took this personally and really want to change the way I train.  I need to be more intentional and more efficient so that I can get the most out of my training.  I hope that this will lead to a strong performance at my first Ultra Race and will also lead to continued improvements and I dive into the Ultra world.

Just a quick drop in to say hello and give all of you a quick update on how things are going.  Hope all is well with everyone, I’m trying to get caught up on blog reading as well so I can see how everyone is doing.

Which professional runners do you follow?  Do you ever following the tips and workouts that they use in their own training

3 comments:

  1. Awesome beach pics! ha! i am with you, I enjoy the beach a few days and then I am out. LOL I will never be a beach dweller. I am pro at cervezas though lol
    Dive in and get the legs going up the mountains again :) You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great trip. I much prefer stalking amateur runners via blog to following professional runners. I usually reserve stalking professionals for special occasions (i.e. looking for training plans/advice/books). When I do stalk professionals I follow: Kara Goucher, Paula Radcliff, Dean Karnazes, and Scott Jurek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been following too many pros...I have taken away one thing from when I have in the past...the need to mimic their discipline. I agree with you about the long stretches of flat shoreline. Maybe you should visit the NH/ME coastline? It is rocky and hilly... :) I have been enjoying the trails lately with the beautiful fall foliage. It is one of my favorite times of the year...Glad you had a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!