Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Time to Get to Work

Happy Thursday Everyone!!

Well SH%$ just got real!!


I know I’ve thrown this tag line out there before but we are on a whole new level here people.  For the first time in my running life, I’ve accepted a training plan from someone else and plan to use that as I train for my 50K.  As I started to prepare for this race, I started to look at my training plan and hoped to bounce some ideas and questions off the leader of my running group.  Out of sheer generosity, he ended up building me a full training plan and even took the time to incorporate our week long trip to Mexico in October.  I can’t explain how completely appreciative I am that this man took time out of his busy day to not only build the training plan but revise it a few times to incorporate different aspects that I think will help me be better prepared come December.  On top of that we have had ongoing discussions about different training runs, and plan to continue updating the training plan based on how things are progressing.  Is this guy cool or what?!?!?!


The great thing is that he has a ton of ultras under his belt all the way up to the 100 mile distance.  He just got back from the big boy, UTMB, where he was crewing for a buddy of his.  Now that is epic status!!  None the less, being the person I am and knowing how this stuff is time consuming I’ve offered to pay him back in some way but all he will accept is a beer at some point.  Well I can definitely make that happen.

So here I am, looking at this training plan, attempting to get myself mentally prepared for this journey.  All I could come up with was “What the HE$% did I get myself into” LOL. 

Here are some highlights of the crazy SH%$ we have going on during this training….

Peak Week – The peak week during training has 55 miles of running and almost 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Long Runs – I’m not afraid of long runs, but I have 3 runs OVER 20 miles, one of which being 24 miles….Um that almost a marathon during a training run people lol.

Back to Back – I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever run real back to back training runs.  Come November I have a 24 mile run on Saturday followed by a 13 mile run on Sunday.  Yup you read that right, almost a marathon on Saturday followed by a half marathon on Sunday.

All joking aside, I’m excited as HE$% to get into this training plan.  I haven’t been this excited about training for a race in a long time.  As most of you know and commented as such when I broke the news about this 50k, I feel like trails and ultras is really where my passion is and more so where I can really thrive as a runner.  Who knows, maybe someday I’ll be attending Hardrock or Western States or UTMB and so on and so on……how awesome would that be!!

Ok so enough day dreaming, I have miles to throw down!!

When was the last time you were truly excited about your training plan and upcoming race?  My previous marathon training felt more like a job where my current training has been 100% fun and enjoyable

3 comments:

  1. That's nice of the leader of your group. He sounds like he's pretty much coaching you for free and with his experience I'm sure you'll do great.

    Love the meme -- haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's so awesome and so very nice of him!!
    Training plan? what's that? I'm still trying to find a pair of shoes!! hey maybe some day you can get into the Cascade 100....they had a check point right across from our house this year!! I stand there gawking in wonderment at how they look so fresh after 12 hrs of running! You will be that runner some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, don't worry about what is ahead on the plan, run the "mile you are in" or at least the "week you are in"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!