Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, September 26, 2016

One Week at a Time

Happy Monday Everyone!!


Another weekend gone, another week of training in the books, and we are 10 weeks out from my first ultra race!!

I have to get a vlog up for all of you.  My birthday passed a few weeks back and Mrs. Schlub being the awesome wife that she is, actually turned my birthday into a 2 week long extravaganza.  Hey I’m not going to argue with 2 weeks of celebration dedicated to me lol.  In doing so, I made out like a bandit with some awesome running toys.  I’ll have to share those with all of you, and rather than take pictures and write out all the deets, why not vlog right??


As for training, boy oh boy last week was rough.  It was a cut back week but I think last week was tougher than the previous week that included a 20 mile run.  I think my legs were angry with the cumulative fatigue and the increased miles over the last couple weeks.  Everything felt like I was working harder to maintain the performance that I was displaying the week before.  I also had to move some runs around towards the end of the week due to family events but also due to a tight IT Band.  For those that haven’t been around the Schlub world for too long, I battled ITB issues a couple years back and still have some lingering effects from time to time.

The good thing is that I don’t take any chances with my ITB anymore and try to pull back or move runs around to let my legs rest.  At the same time I step up my massaging and stretching to make sure I’m giving the old ITB some much needed TLC.  Without being diagnosed from someone who knows more than me, I think I get tightness in my right hip which pulls on my left ITB.  Naturally all my stretching is for both my hips and my ITB.  Woke up this morning with my legs feeling great and no real tightness so I think we are on the right track.

Miles ramp back up this week so I’m really pleading with my legs to recover and be ready for a solid week of running.  We will see how things go!!

How long does your birthday celebration typically last??  I bet it’s not 2 weeks like mine lol

Do you pull back and rest when you’re feeling tightness or do you push through your runs??

5 comments:

  1. Well happy belated birthday bud :)
    I hope the IT band calms down for you. I have the saga with my feet so I totally get it.
    I can't wait to see your new running toys and a trail video soon please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! Can't wait to see what the Mrs. got you!

    I am looking forward to these vlogs that I keep hearing so much about!!!! Hopefully the next vlog will include you saying that your ITB is feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! 29 again like me? hahaha

    ITB problems can be the worst. I dealt with it last year and my coach/PT scraped it a couple times which really seemed to help. Glad your legs are behaving themselves now. 10 weeks will fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't do much for my birthday..at my age I like to just skip it and move on! :)
    When I start feeling something tighten up like my ITB, I step up my foam rolling game and start 2 a day sessions. It hurts but helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. two weeks!? Nice!! And why not. But will you do the same for her? :) Looking forward to the vlogs. And I hope the training goes well with less pain and stiffness! I know you will work it through and stick to the plan! Happy Birthday Schlub!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!