Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Im Still Here

Happy Monday Everyone!!

I have been telling myself for weeks now that I owe you guys a post.  This Family/Work/Running balance right now is taking a lot of planning so with all that, blogging is hit and miss lol.

Regardless, training is on point right now.  Last two weeks have been 40 mile weeks and my legs feel great.  Not to mention this past weekend was my first back to back weekend for this training cycle, so I dominated a 21 mile long run on Saturday morning (including the final mile in the 7 min/mile range) and then last night knocked out a smooth 5 mile recovery run.  Legs were definitely tired from the 21 miles but I still felt super comfortable during those 5 miles.  Legs are definitely getting acclimated to the increased mileage.  This week is a bit of a recover/cut back week so I’m looking forward to the reduced activity. Maybe I’ll be able to throw up two posts this week lol.

Biggest take away from my training to this points….FUELING!!

As you may remember, the leader of my running group has been gracious enough to train me for my first 50K.  Again I can’t stress enough how much of a blessing this has been.  So he and I have had daily discussion about different things.  At this point the overwhelmingly majority of our discussion has been around fueling.  Two weeks ago I had a 15 mile long run and by the 10 mile mark I was gassed and sucking wind on sections of trail that I usually handle no problem.  I had a PB&J sandwich for breakfast and that was it, epic fail.  At the 11 mile mark I hammered 2 Cliff Gels and eureka I was feeling better about 15 minutes later.  Total lack of calories that day.

Jump to this weekend, I took the time to plan out my fueling so that I could avoid the crash that I felt the week before.  That morning for breakfast I had an apple, banana, and granola bar about 30 minutes before my run.  I had made 2 whole PB&J sandwiches and cut them into tiny bite size portions so I could place in my pack and eat along the run.  Mrs. Schlub and I also worked on homemade energy bites (oats, peanut butter, honey) to try during this run as well.  Every 30 minutes I was popping a few of those in and washing them down with water.  At the 18 mile mark I threw down a couple Cliff Gels just to help me finish things off strong.  See what I mean….FUELING!!

Needless to say, things went better than expected this weekend.  I felt strong the entire run and honestly felt like I had more gas in the tank and could have easily ran more miles.  Unfortunately I had kids events early that morning so I had to head out after my 21 miles and couldn’t add miles.

Second take away from my training to this point….Get Em in When you Can!!

Miles are racking up at all different hours of the day lol.  My running group calls them Vampire Miles because we are basically running all our miles in the dark with headlamps.  For example, I started my long run this past Saturday at 2:30 am and finished by 6:30 am so that I could make it to kids sporting events.  Then last night I had to finish my 5 miles around 10pm because we were busy all day with church events then getting kids ready for school on Monday.

Can’t complain, things are going good right now and if I want to be ready for 50k, I need to get the miles in however I can.

I hope everyone is doing well and I really plan to post a bit more, maybe I’ll start recording my blog posts during my runs since that is where a majority of my time is spent and I need things to take my mind off the suffering anyways lol.

Have a great Monday

13 comments:

  1. 2:30 AM!!!!! I don't even know what to say, I think you have hit a new runner craziness record. I can't imagine having already been awake for 4+ hours...at 6:30!

    I know what you mean about having to squeeze in miles where you can. Training is all about adapting to imperfect circumstances, though. And I think it's especially beneficial for ultra runners, since those are long events that span multiple periods of the day and you'll want to acclimate your body to running during those different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty badass to chat with some of our friends and tell them I had already done 21 miles that morning lol.

      Good point on acclimating, the race will go morning to mid day which will bring a variety of weather changes. Great feedback!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Hanna ^^ That's some dedication! I think the earliest I've gotten up was in the 4'oclock hour and then I had to jump on the treadmill until the sun started peaking out enough for me to feel safe. I love running "vampire miles" with my husband, though.

    Is your race in November? I know I've read it but I can't remember. I can hardly remember what day it is. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah 230 was an anomaly because of our events but hey it made for good blogging lol.

      Race is first weekend in Dec, I'm so excited!!

      Delete
  3. Holy $h!t! You ran from 2:30am - 6:30am and then went on to have a full and productive day full of kids activities? Are you even a real person???? I would have been totally conked out by 7am! You are seriously unreal!

    It definitely sounds like you've got your fueling down now. I love that you're brining real food with you. Are you keeping it in your car and running loops, or do you pack it in your Camelbak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I was knee deep in a nap around noon lol.

      For this run I had 3 loops so yes I kept them in my car and stopped each time. Try to simulate the aid stations along the course.

      Delete
  4. I thought I was a vampire runner starting runs at 4:30 a.m. LOL I got nothing on ya!
    I love that things are going so well! and I am loving your findings your fueling. I always lack in the category myself - maybe i need to try to cliff bars for the run or PB & J which I love! I can't use the GU things or energy blocks they all mess with my tunny.
    It is awesome you have a training buddy :) That is the best!!!
    Rock on bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!! Just trying to see what my limits are. I love gels but my coach is thinking I need more solid food so I'm just testing things out.

      Delete
  5. Wow! When do you sleep??
    When is your race? I am glad you are working on the fueling. That is a tough, overlooked area. I think that will REALLY help you (even in injury prevention!)
    Are these long runs on trails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep?!?! What is that?!?!

      Race is first weekend in Dec. Just about all my runs are on trails. I'll throw in a recovery run here and there with buster but for the most part I stick to trails.

      Delete
  6. PBJ? you are killing me! ha ha ha! and that 230 am running....man! SO glad that you are learning some valuable lessons on fueling. It's going to make such a huge difference! way to go Richard! Glad that you can juggle all you've got going on in life and make such headway with your training! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about juggle, I'm sure Mrs Schlub wants to kill me sometimes and I don't know what I would do without her.

      Lessons are huge, reun buddies and my coach have stressed that you just have to try different things and see what works. So that's what I'm doing.

      Delete
  7. Last summer I got in a 3 a.m. 20 miler, lol! You gotta do what you gotta do!! Especially out here where it gets insanely hot so early.

    Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!