Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Manitou Incline

I kept this under wraps because I wasn't sure if I could make it happen.  Work sent me out to Colorado Springs for a conference.  I immediately scoured the internet and found that the Incline was 20 min from my hotel......ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

This morning I caught a ride over and arrived about 530 am.  Come to find out an officer was waiting at the trailhead advising that the trail opens at 600 am.  But if I'm running the Youk Trail that is open 24 hours wink wink.  So I made my way up and found myself staring at this iconic location.


Stock photo because all my shots are on the gopro
Let me deviate real quick, I got a HUGE variety of estimated times to the top of the Incline.  The most reasonable as that 45 min to the top was a really foot effort.

So I started climbing about 545 am.  I started out in a slow trot and quickly came to a screeching halt and was power hiking like crazy.  About 3/4 way up i snapped this shot....AMAZING!!


I was dying, I was grinding, but I made it to the top in 38:59...and man oh man I'm pretty damn happy about that.  Didn't have a ton of time because I had to get back to the conference so I started to head down when a crazy thing happened.

It's not recommended to hike back down the Incline.  It's steep, loose footing, and tons of traffic.  The other option is the Barr Trail which is all downhill, a ton of switch backs, and about 3 miles in length.  I saw another trail runner heading down so I thought "don't know where I'm going so I'll follow this guy."  Turns out he is an ultra runner and he was BOMBING down the trail.  Not wanting to get lost I tucked in and did the best I could to keep up.  Afterwards I thanked him, and he told me that people usually don't keep up with him on the downhill.  Hell yeah...HUGE pat on the back lol.  Then he was kind enough to give me a ride to the hotel...how awesome is this running / trail running community.  So awesome!!

Such an amazing experience.  Never thought in my wildest dream I would be crawling up the Manitou Incline.  Sorry for lack of pictures but I have a ton of video and will be sharing later this week.  So you have to come back lol.

11 comments:

  1. OMG! THAT IS FREAKING awesome :) I am impressed bud! That is a steep climb and how amazing you had trail guide on the way down. Blessed :) it doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a great experience. Couldn't have asked for things to work out this well.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the video!!!! 38:59!!!! That's so impressive!

    How cool that you got to follow an ultrarunner and chat with him after. Seems like a really cool guy. Did he know Sage? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy with the 38:59.

      Yes he did know Sage. Plus he is doing leadville next month, so crazy!

      Delete
  3. WOW! This put a big smile on my face because it is so epic that you got to do that AND in a great time AND a good downhill!! Besdies the fact that it was all more or less a surprise visit/run. How freaking FUN!!! How did the legs feel during recovery?? Can't wait to see the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole experience was amazing. Legs were tired later in the day but man oh man I'm feeling it these past couple days lol.

      Delete
  4. That is awesome! I can only imagine how long I would take getting up that thing, but it definitely wouldn't be anywhere ballpark 38. hahaha I'm glad you were able to make it work on a work trip of all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us the elevation is the biggest challenge. My house is at 1500 feet of elevation and I normally max out at 2600 on top of camelback. Colorado Springs sits at 6000 feet. That is a HUGE difference lol

      Delete
    2. I am at sea level, so I am pretty sure I would keel over...

      Delete
  5. Wow, that sounds amazing! It must have felt pretty studly to keep up with an ultra runner...at 6000 ft. Color me impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!