Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Some Exciting News

Happy Thursday Everyone!!


I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus from the blog world.  Work has been crazy busy, school started a few weeks back, and youth sports is starting back up again.  Definitely a lot going on!!

Not to worry though, my running has been pretty solid lately and I’m still in a fantastic groove when it comes to my trail running.  This week will be 4 consecutive weeks with roughly 30 miles per week and because of this recent groove, I’ve got big news to share with all of you….


I am officially making the jump into the ULTRA world.  Ok full disclosure I haven’t signed up yet…….but I’m planning to run my first 50K either the middle of November or the beginning of December.  I can’t tell you how excited I am and at the same time equally nervous to make this jump.  There are a few things that I need to break down to help me determine which race I’m going to make my Ultra debut.  Primarily location and course layout but as of right now I’m all in on one of these two races.

I’m sure you’re asking yourself, “how do you plan to get ready for your first Ultra??”  Well I’m glad you asked because I have no d$%# idea how I’m going to get ready for this thing lol.  I’ve been bouncing ideas off the organizer of my running group and I think the plan I’ve been using over the last year is going to work out.  I just need to keep building my mileage and pretty much train as I would for the marathon.  We were talking through my ability to get ready for 31 miles over the next 12 weeks or so and he feels that I can definitely be ready by then.  Gotta be honest, I’ve been trying to build up my long runs with the intent to be ready for races in the Fall/Winter which includes a 15 mile trail run this past Sunday.  So glad I did that because it was the perfect base building to get ready for this race.

Huge news and I’m super excited.

If you’ve run an ultra let me know how you got ready for your first one.  If you have not, let me know how you WOULD get ready for your first one

7 comments:

  1. This is SO exciting! Hooray!! Honestly, I think you will enjoy ultras more than road marathons. Your love of trail running really shines through in your posts and I think this will be right up your alley!

    Well I've never done an ultra so no advice on how to prepare, but the ultra runners I know do a lot of 2-a-day runs and back-to-back long runs on the weekends to prepare (like 15 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday, etc). Obviously they spend many hours on the trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome and sounds crazy!! lol I am excited to hear how training goes and also how you enjoy it versus the marathon (although I KNOW you have a speedy fast time in the marathon waiting for you!).

    I have never done an ultra, never say never but I will probably never do one, but it sounds like you have the right idea with your base building. I made it through a marathon with a 17 miler max training run and it was a great race for me so you have gobs of time to get mileage in and prepare those legs. GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you will do fantastic!! It is the perfect fit for you :) All the elevation you run is great prep work and gives you a strength advantage. Luckily so many people blog now you can read all kinds of ideas about training!
    There is a local guy who sets up a loop trail race in the park here. I ran the 10 mile option last year because I was still hurt, but I was so impressed with how well he prepped for the 12 hour runners. I keep wondering if I am well enough with these feet to try it next year - he sent an email out last with the course info. and got my wheels turning lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. All about time on your feet -- in my opinion. Be very comfortable being out for 4 to 5 hours at a time and you'll be fine. Train for the course too (especially for trails), if its steep do steeps if its flat do flats. A 50km is really not that different from a marathon to be totally honest. You can screw up big time and still put together a finish, serious nutrition doesn't come into play much until 50+ miles, so just fuel as normal. It's more about just breaking mental barriers when you first break 30 miles, than other things seem so much more possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER exciting! And what a great choice as trail running seems to be your passion. Can't wait to hear whcih ultra you choose!! Good luck, run smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited for you! I did do an ultra--32 miles. I actually trained less running for it than I did for marathons. I would do my typical runs, and then other "time on my feet training". For example, go for a run (8-10 miles), then go take a spinning class (or sometimes 2) or go snow shoeing etc. It just helped me not to get burnt out.
    Good luck to you, I can't wait to read about this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NICE!!!! That's so exciting!!!! I'm so flipping excited for you!

    My friend from high school, Cori, just did her first 50K. Check out her blog if you want to read her journey: https://shesgoingthedistance.com. She would be a great person to bounce ideas off of!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!