Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, July 11, 2016

That Sh*% Was Steep

Happy Monday Everyone!!

Temps are scorching out here in AZ but I honestly think I’m having one of my best running summers EVER!!  Well I’ve really only had about 2 full running summers but that is besides the point right lol.


Saturday morning – Thompson’s Peak

About 45 minutes north of my house we have a mountain range that I had yet to run around and explore.  We had some early morning plans cancelled for Saturday so I quickly jumped online to get all the details and plan out my run.  Had some conflict in information but overall I was looking at 10-14 miles and about 2000 feet of climbing.  I had originally planned around 11 miles and 2200 feet of climbing so everything was right on.  The online reports showed that the last portion of the run would be extremely steep but hey this is Arizona right, I could handle that.  My oh my was I in for a surprise lol.



One minor problem was that the trailhead is located within a neighborhood and the trail doesn’t open until 5am which is about an hour later than I normally like to start.  I hit the parking area and started on my way right around 5am.  The first two miles were smooth and rolling through the desert.  During these first couple miles the sun was already starting to hit me so I knew the second half of this run was going to be a suffer fest in the heat.  At the 2.5 mile mark I came to the trail junction.  The trail to the summit turns into a mix of dirt/cement jeep trail and things started off well with some slight climbing.  Off in the distance I could see the trail climbing up the mountain and noticed a major item missing…no switchbacks lol.  The jeep trail climbs straight up the mountain and only in the last quarter mile has some small switchbacks.  At roughly the 3.5 mile mark, this run got REAL…REAL STEEP lol.  I ran into a guy on the way back down and he told me the upper portion of the trail is about a 40% grade…that is steep as HE%$.  Needless to say, I was running, power hiking, and crawling all the way to the summit.

It made that summit that much more gratifying.  Chalk up another summit for the year!!


The way back down was pretty interesting, that same 40% grade is extremely difficult to run down.  Even being very cautious my quads were getting blown up.  Around the 6 mile mark things started to get a bit smoother and much more manageable.  I thought I could coast on out the remaining 4 miles but man oh man was it HOT.  I stopped every so often to pour water over my head and neck then I would get back to running. 

Quality outing, run ended up being right at 10 miles with just over 2000 feet of climbing.  I took a bunch of video so I plan to have a Schlubing Adventures video up this week.

Monday morning – Usery Mountain

This morning I woke up early and hit a mountain right by the house.  The run on Saturday definitely did a number on my legs because I was just sluggish and things were slow going.  Still got to the summit, got a great view of the sunrise before heading off to work.  In my opinion, catching a summit is the best way to start out your day!!



When was the last time a run absolutely trashed your legs and you needed a few days recovery??  I was still feeling the abuse today, it’s been a while since a run did that to my legs

6 comments:

  1. You are quite the conquerer this summer! It is all about the grade, that really steep stuff will tear you up, you have to weird things with your legs to balance lol
    I think it is an awesome test of your endurance to make that big summit. I'd know I'd be power hiking the whole time, I guess I don't get to run enough mountains to feel comfortable running them.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am running vicariously through you this summer -- HA. Your story kind of reminds me of my first stab at Camelback Mountain where I quickly learned it was more of a climb and a workout than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to get after it!!!! I'm seriously exhausted just thinking about the steep climb you conquered! I remember barely making it during our 15 minute climb up Vesuvius in Italy, I could never hang in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! My first leg of a ragnar last year was straight up a ski slope, then back down. Well, that trashed my quads for my other 2 runs...
    I can't believe you accomplish multiple peaks per week. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crawling?? ha ha! Great post; love your running adventures! And the pics are cool too ;) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After I ran my half down a mountain earlier this year my legs were toast. I took a few days off before I could run and not feel the vibration pains in my quads. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!