Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Back From Hiatus

Hey everyone, hope your week is going well!!

I finally got out for a run this morning.  I’ve been on a small hiatus from running since last Wednesday. 

To start, middle of last week I started to get worried because my right foot was feeling tight.  I quickly started to do my stretching and massaging over a couple days to try and alleviate the tightness.  I ended up pulling a couple rest days to give my foot some down time and also dunked my foot in an ice bucket on Sunday night which seemed to do the trick.  Finally hit the mountain this morning and didn’t have any serious concerns in that foot.  Kept the effort pretty low but it felt good to get out and shake out my legs.


Two key items that directly impacted this little scare:

1)      Elevation Fever – These past few weeks I’ve been on an elevation kick and focusing on bagging as much elevation as I can grab.  Over the last five weeks I’ve accumulated almost 24,000 feet of elevation gain averaging just under 5,000 feet of elevation per week.  For me, that is a ton of climbing!!

2)      Un-factored Activities - A few weeks back, Mrs. Schlub and I started playing old man softball with some families that we know from church.  Great time, a lot of fun, but a little extra speed work that I haven’t factored into my normal running routine.  I started to notice that my hamstrings and calves were feeling tight the night after our softball games.  This always leads to extra pulling on my feet so I need to continue to monitor these activities.

As for this morning, for Arizona during the summer, it was an amazing morning.  We got some rain yesterday which made this morning a bit cooler.  Temps were right around 85* but there was also a pretty consistent breeze which felt amazing.  


Another first, I got a great look at an owl up on the mountain.  I kept my headlamp off then turned it back on right as I was pointing the camera.  GoPro doesn’t do well in low light but it’s what I had in my hand at the time.  He looked right at me and then hoo’d right at me.  I continued up the trail and he flew off handling his own business.


There you have it, a quick update filled with rest days, possible injuries, great runs, and an owl.  Man this post had a little of everything lol.

4 comments:

  1. This flatlander is envious of all your elevation gain. Your theory about foot tightness makes perfect sense. I hope your feet calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job listening to your body. It's always hard to dial back, but always worth it to prevent injury.

    Old man softball sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owls are awesome and kind of scary lol we used to have one years ago that lived in woods behind our house.
    Your climbing is amazing bud! I share a love of it with you, I always wish I could do it more.
    I am glad the foot calmed down pretty fast. Keeping doing calf raises and stretching :)
    I bet old man softball is pretty fun, you can dazzle them with your speed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Glad that your foot is feeling better and it wasn't anything serious.

    That's so cool that you saw an owl and it hooted at you! No video of it?! What kind of vlogger are you! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!