Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

What A Jerk!!

As I was running last night at running group and then woke up to run early this morning, I started to plan out this long post whining about how my legs were trash, I couldn’t hold pace at run group, and overall I was just worn down from the week. 

Then my mind set me straight….. 

I was nearing the summit this morning, I had about 100 feet of climbing left and my legs were still grinding.  At that point I was sitting on roughly 3,000 feet of climbing for the week and just under 8,000 feet of climbing over the last week and a half.  For me, that is a ton of climbing.  Somehow as I was power hiking this section of the mountain, and I could see the summit, my mind reminded me that my legs were working hard as he$# and how much of a blessing it is to have the ability to be active.  I started to think about all the punishment that I put my legs, ankles, and feet through with all this trail running and here I am complaining about how tired my legs are. 

Man what a jerk!!.....lol

Needless to say I felt really bad because my legs and body really are amazing in letting me run all over the state of Arizona without any major complaints.  If tired legs is all that I have to deal with for the time being than I think I’m doing ok.  So this morning I’m giving a huge shout out to my legs and all the miles they allow me to put in for the purpose of bagging summits.  Make sure you thank your legs today!!

Tomorrow is a much needed rest day for me so I’m going to make sure I take full advantage and let my legs recuperate before my run this weekend. 

Group run last night was awesome, I’m really enjoying the group so far.  The group is overwhelmingly men which really helps me push myself to run harder.  I like to be at the front of the pack running with the more experienced runners.  Yet, there are times when I fall behind to take pictures then push it to try and catch up before the next stopping point.  They have three pacing groups and so far I’ve settled pretty nicely into the mid pack group.  In the coming weeks I want to try and start running with the fast pace group to see if I can hang with those guys.  They are all really strong runners and I know trying to keep up with those guys will benefit me a lot.  Can’t forget that we’ve been getting some awesome sunset views while out on the trails the past few weeks.



This morning was a little rough from the start.  I didn’t want to get up, I changed my running location at the last minute, and the fatigue in my legs just made everything a bit harder.  Regardless, I put in a good effort, hit another summit, and I’m right on track to hit about 6,500 feet of climbing this week.  Now that is awesome lol.  We have a forest fire raging up north so I think that is leading to the hazy skies but still got some good shots of the sunrise.



When was the last time you gave your legs and feet some TLC?  I don’t do it nearly enough for all the pounding that my legs and feet take.  Never too late to start right??

4 comments:

  1. I can tell you're an optimistic person through reading your posts so it's okay if you want to whine on occasion! Or you can come and read as I whine about how I'm injured. :P But it's true, for what we put our legs and bodies through, it's amazing that we can continue to do it ALL THE TIME. We can't blame them for a little rebellion on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay LEGS!! I actually went and got a massage last month, it was awesome! I don't do that nearly enough but have been experiencing some yucky legs this spring. :( I should post about it....nah! Have a great weekend, I hope your legs enjoy their rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I really needed to read this post today. Yesterday my legs were tired, my body was tired and I definitely ended the run feeling defeated. You're right though, a few days of dealing with tired legs is nothing to complain about since we have our health and the ability to run all over our states!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sunrise views! It is fun running with a group, and having all speeds is nice so you can push yourself and drop back if needed. I am guilty right now of grumbling about my feet, and I try not to, but they are going to define how my running goes from here on out and it seems my "speedy" days may be over. I try to be content as long as I am moving...most days!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!