Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Runner Confessional

Is it Friday yet???

Before I get into my workouts from yesterday and this morning, I have a little runner confessional for all of you.  I know the blogging world is one giant trust tree and we can openly talk to each other about whatever.  So I have to admit, I think I kicked my soda “addiction”….huge applause….yaaaaay!!  I’ve always tried to kick soda by not purchasing any for home, but we have it free here at the office, so I always ended up binging here at work.  Well when we went up to the cabin a couple weeks ago, I told Mrs. Schlub not to bring any soda because I really needed to kick that habit.  I don’t know what I would have done without Gatorade but ever since then I think I’ve had a quarter of a cup and that was all.  I’m super happy about this, I never thought I would kick that habit.  Now I just need to kick this whole beer thing and I’ll be all set lol.


First, another small reveal, I’ve added speed work back into my training program.  Lately I’ve been trying to accumulate as much vertical as I can in preparation for Humphreys Peak next weekend.  I plan to continue that trend but I also need to start getting prepared for a fall or winter marathon so I figured why not start adding speed work into the mix now.  Last night I headed up to the local high school and ran some 400’s on the track.  Man was it brutal!!!  Although I got this amazing shot of the sunset, it was scorching out and the workout just kicked my a%$.  In the end I was pretty happy with the progress and will plan to continue that as my Monday workout.



Secondly, I got up early this morning for a nice easy hike before work.  Since I did speed work last night, I thought it would be smart to keep my effort level pretty low while still getting in the vertical training.  Also wanted to work on my power hiking because I am going to need that a ton next weekend.  Hit the trail at 4am, jogged the road to the trail head, jogged a few of the flat sections, but stuck to my guns and hiked about 90% of the trail on my way up.  Views of the sunrise were gorgeous.  I got into a slow jog on the way down but nothing too serious.  Ended up being 3.5 miles and 1300 feet of elevation gain.  Always a great way to start out the day!!





Curious, what was the last habit or craving that everyone recently kicked?  I still bite my nails and man o man that is a hard one to crack

4 comments:

  1. I gave up soda for 6 months last year. I thought it would be hard but once I adjusted and found alternatives, I actually didn't miss it that much. What I love about soda isn't as much the sweetness as it is the carbonation. That's what keeps me addicted more than anything else. So I substituted sparkling water with all-natural flavoring to get my fix in, and it worked! I got just as addicted to La Croix as I did to soda. But unfortunately, La Croix is pricey stuff and I don't like all the can waste. I got a soda stream machine and started using that to make sparkling water...but sadly, I have since gotten back on the soda wagon. I'm not nearly as addicted as I used to be and I still don't usually keep it in the house, but, I have slowly started drinking it more and more. I think, honestly, in order for cutting soda to make a real difference for me, I need to change my diet too. When I gave up soda last year I was proud of myself but I didn't notice much of a difference in my running or overall health, because I kept the same diet habits. Anyway, good for you!! Soda really is so bad for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A habit that Adam wishes I would crack is leaving my cups everywhere. Cecil likes to knock over cups and apparently I leave half empty water cups all over the place. Since Adam works from home most days if Cecil tips them over he's on cleanup duty. I wish I could kick this habit but since I never have to clean up the mess it just slips my mind :). I'm a bad person!!

    Great job kicking your soda habit! I kicked mine about 6 or 7 years ago now and haven't looked back! Now if I have a soda I burp like crazy haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time do you have to go to bed to get up to see the sunrise? It comes up so early these days, and on early morning days I find myself done at like 7pm. I wish I could go out and see it as often as you!

    Nice job on the soda thing. I don't drink a lot of soda but I do love me some Monsters, but I only allow them on the weekend!! Makes me still feel in control. HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. To stop biting your nails, try using clear nail polish. It tastes so horrible you'll stop fast!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!