Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Body Knows Best


I’m pretty lucky when it comes to my health.  We have three kids, one of them being in the prime germ carrier grades of elementary school, which means we get a lot of sniffles and coughs in our house.  I don’t get sick that often and I really think it’s because of all the running that I do, keeps those germs away.  Although, when I actually get sick, it knocks me on my A@$ lol.  I was feeling the early signs of a cold late last week but was doing my best to fight off the sickness.  We had a pretty packed weekend with Mrs. Schlub hosting her second 5K, birthday celebrations, and even a lake day.  Well with the early signs of a cold and the busy weekend, we came home on Sunday and I immediately crashed out for a few hours.  I pretty much spent the next couple days in and out of bed trying to get back on my feet.  Not sure what the exact illness was but man oh man it sure took the life out of me for a couple days.

Normally when I’m feeling the early signs of a cold, I like to get out for a run and essentially use the sweat it out method.  I really think it allows me to sweat out all those germs and even helps break up any congestion I have in my chest and sinuses.  I may be a bit more tired and need more fluids and food but it usually does the trick.  Then comes the times that my body is fully intentional about me taking some time off lol.  When I’m hit with an illness like I was the past few days, I truly believe its because I’ve been over doing my training and daily activitites and my body is in desperate need of some down time.  Thankfully I’m feeling much better today, planning to get a light run in later this evening, and hopefully back on the right track to healthy running.

Do you shut it down when you feel an illness coming on?  Do you try and run through it much like I do?

2 comments:

  1. Bummer you haven't been feeling well. I tend to tell myself that it's really in my head and I keep on keeping on until I usually end up crashing. Glad you're feeling better but take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

    I find that running does seem to help clear up congestion, but only temporarily for me. I'll feel great while running and for the first few minutes after and then I feel awful! But at least it doesn't actually affect the running part, that's what is important! :D

    Feel better soon and create a vlog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!