Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Running in Paradise

Can you believe it’s already the end of May, it seems like these months are flying by.

Typically around these parts, the end of May brings the start of 3-4 months of sweltering summer heat.  I’m not sure if the current conditions mean that we will have 150* temps later this summer, but lately the weather has been pretty darn amazing.  My early morning runs are giving me 65*-70* temps which are absolutely perfect!! 


Sunday morning I was headed about an hour west of our house to meet up with some buddies to play some golf in remembrance of our very good friend who passed away in Iraq in 2005.  Sunday was the anniversary of his passing so we all decided the best way to remember him was to spend time together and play the game he loved so much.  Well me just being the way I am, I decided I would get a run in before the round at some trails that were along the drive over.

I woke up at 3:30 am and I was out the door around 4:00 am.  I hit the parking area around 4:45 am and my plan was to run until 6:00 am so that I could head over to the golf course.  I laced up my shoes, clicked on my watch and away I went.  I purposely chose the trail that led to the high point then basically run as deep as I could until my time ran out and I needed to turn back around.  Again the weather was amazing and the views were even better.



A ton of annoyance when I got home later that night and tried to sync my watch.  I guess the run file on my watch was corrupt or something like that so I wasn’t able to load to Garmin connect.  I can’t begin to tell you how annoyed I was, Mrs. Schlub was equally annoyed because I was huffing and puffing all over the place lol.  The run ended up being around 6 miles with about 1300 feet of climbing.  Very good effort, I was pleased with this run and how my body felt during and after.

Took Monday off then planned another early morning run for today.  This morning I headed out super early to hit the trails by my house before I had to be at work.  I woke up at 3:00 am and I was out the door around 3:30 am. Hit the parking lot around 4:00 am and immediately hit the trail.  Today’s run was planned for about 1 hr 15 min and would be right around 7.5 miles.  I have previously run this trail during the day but have never run it in the dark.  I was making frequent stops to check for wildlife as I heard rustling throughout the run, luckily all I saw was deer and they didn’t bother me one bit lol.  Another solid effort minus the frequent stop, the run ended being 7.5 miles with about 1200 feet of climbing.  Great way to start out my day.



So there you have it, we are having some great weather out here in AZ and I’m trying to take full advantage because before I know it the summer heat will be here making it just miserable.  My legs are really rounding into form and I’m really happy with my fitness level right now.  Biggest positive is that I’m loving running 100% and that is the best feeling ever

4 comments:

  1. 3AM!!! Wow. Kudos to you. I started running on some trails by me and I have been very skittish about the sounds of animals. We had a bear sighting in our back yard, and I recently had to get a woodchuck out of our garage. However, I seem to be jumping at all the squirrels when running, which makes me seem silly!
    We are about 2 weeks away from the end of track season, and then I am looking forward to increasing my training.
    I know the feeling about the GPS. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, 3:30am on a non-race day. I think you might be crazy! :D

    "I was huffing and puffing all over the place" hahahah that's so funny. I mean, I totally get it. The other day I forgot to save my run to my Garmin. I didn't know if it auto-saved or not, and while I was waiting for the sync to happen I was so nervous! Luckily for me it did auto-save, phew! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to get up at 2:30 every morning so I could be at work by 4:30...now I don't have to be at work until 7 and can't drag my butt out of bed!! I could probably turn into a morning runner if I did. You may have just given me a little motivation!! :)
    I am glad the weather is on your side! Such a great thing in that area of the country!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some cool run spots! I always love seeing your pics.
    I hate when technology does that, it is super annoying. I would have been huffing too. Sometimes my Garmin would do that and then load the next day. I hope your run shows up so you can see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!