Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, May 27, 2016

Just Some More Summit Fever

Another early morning but I bagged another summit today and my week long climb of the valley continues. 


On a side note, I’m really bad with easy days.  I think we all follow each other’s blogs but for those of you that do not read Kristina’s blog over at Blog About Running , she just finished up reading Meb for Mortals and one item that really struck me was how he sticks to his training plan no matter what.  Kristina recaps by saying “If it’s an easy day he holds himself back instead of saying ‘my body felt good so went for it!’”  My plan for today was to spend extra time on the mountain so I wasn’t actually running but rather hiking up the mountain.  I wanted to give myself a less strenuous activity, still focus on vertical training, but also give my legs a different type of workout.  I’ll get to it later but on the way down, all that was thrown right out the window lol.
I got to the mountain a few minutes later than I wanted to but I planned plenty of extra time so I told myself to stick to the plan.  I was hiking today and not attempting to run up the entire mountain.  I was the only car in the parking area so I knew I was going to be the first summit of the day.  I always enjoy saying that lol.  The parking area to the trial head is on residential roads so I slowly jogged up to the trailhead.  Once I hit the trail there were only a few parts of the trail that I jogged and it was primarily the flat sections. I really tried to focus on power hiking the climbs.  It felt like forever since I actually hit the summit, the top portion of the mountain is a workout and even though I was hiking, my legs were still burning.  I don’t know how many times I’ve been on the summit and how many times I’ve seen this same sunrise, but it never gets old.


I took quite a bit of time on the summit trying to really capture the sunrise.  I didn’t get a true picture of the sunrise until I was partially down the mountain.

So the holding back gets thrown out the door as usually…SMH!! 

After all my pictures on the summit, I started to slowly and carefully make my way down.  The top portion of the mountain is pretty steep so I always take my time, don’t need an injury or worse, fall off the mountain.  I think Mrs. Schlub would be pretty upset if I fell off the mountain.  As I got to the saddle which is the great divide between the scrambling and the running, there was another gentleman in front of me who started to run.  What does my mind immediately say….”No way this guy can get down the mountain before me.”  There you have it, that’s all it took, a little competition and my entire “HIKING” plan was thrown right out the window lol. 

I tucked in right behind him and started to run down the mountain.  At some point he lets me pass and he starts to follow right behind me.  We ran into some pretty heavy traffic at one point, not sure if it was a meetup event or something like that but there was a big train of people.  We cautiously passed them and started to make our way down pretty quickly.  I stopped to grab my picture of the sunrise and he went on ahead of me.  He got a pretty good lead on me after I pulled my phone out, snapping my shot, then secured my phone again.  So what does my mind say…”I can catch him no problem.”  I know the route all too well so I caught him a little farther down the trail, passed him again, and didn’t see him until I was at the car loading up all my stuff.  Thanks for the advice Meb LOL.

I can’t help it, I had so many things going against me, the only option was to run down the mountain.  All in all it was a great morning.  I really enjoyed the hiking, not worrying about time, and especially not having to hear my labored breathing as I grind up the mountain.  With the three day weekend coming up we have loads of things planned so I’m sure come Tuesday I’ll have plenty to share with all of you.

What are your plans for the holiday weekend

1 comment:

  1. Hahahah well Meb is a professional for a reason. He has practiced not only running but having restraint for years! I think you did a good job hiking up the mountain. Running down probably isn't as hard/strenuous? I have no idea since we don't have any mountains!

    If you fell off the mountain, we would take care of Mrs. Schlub. She could resume your blog and we'd provide her tons of support :D!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!