Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Gotta Keep Plugging Away


About a month ago I purchased a park pass at the state park near my house.  $85 and I get unlimited access to the park for a full year from the purchase date.  Normally it’s $6 each time you enter the park with a vehicle so based on the math, I need to hit the park 14 times to make the pass worth the purchase.  Yeah I should blow that out of the water lol….I’ve already gone 3 times since I purchased the pass and I haven’t even started my long runs yet.  My goal is to hit these trails at least twice a weak which would bring my cost per visit down to .80 cents.  Now that is a bargain lol.

With the purchase of my park pass and the arrival of summer, these past couple weeks I’ve been trying to wake up early and get some runs in before I head into work.  I have to say, waking up for these runs has been brutal.  Mrs. Schlub is the best because as I’m trying to get in the routine of these early morning runs, she has supported me going to bed at the same time as the kids so I can get up early.  Well I have to say that my percentages have been less than stellar.  I’m hoping it’s one of those acquired comforts and the more that I keep plugging away, the easier it will become.  Once I’m up and going it’s a bit easier to get myself out the door, and when I’m finally on the trails there are no more complaints and I’m 100% happy.  It’s the damn alarm clock that is killing me.  I honestly hit the snooze button about 5 times before I actually get up, I know it’s horrible but what can I say.

Today was one of those days where my body was actually ready to get up and run.  I woke up about 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off.  Of course I snoozed it a couple times but eventually got up without a problem and headed off to the trails.  Summer is definitely here because the temp gauge on the car read 79* at 4am….YIKES!!!  Regardless, it was a great day, pretty solid effort and the sunrise was beautiful.  I always make sure to add a little time to my run so I can sit on the summit, think through life, pray, and just clear my head from all the stress that life brings each day. 


Who else is transitioning to early morning runs??  Who is sticking to evening runs

4 comments:

  1. I do morning runs, but I am still waiting until after I bring the kids to school for it to warm up a bit. Soon I will be getting up early, but not as early as you--maybe 5:30. (Which is actually sleeping in...I get up now at 5am, but I don't head out until later!)
    That sunrise looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to do morning runs, but I also show horses so I ride before work. I could, in theory, get up at 4 to run and then ride but the chances are very slim that I'd stick with that. ;)

    I'm not sure where Usery Mountain park is. I'll have o check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80 cents a visit! Ha ha, that is a great deal! looks like great running Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL your morning routine hitting snooze 5 times sounds just like me! When I try to run in the morning it's all a big disaster until I'm finally running (if I make it to that point ... in 90% of the cases I end up just sleeping in)!

    What a great deal on the pass - I am sure you will get your moneys worth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!