Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

A New Training Group??

Such a great trail run last night.  The views were amazing and the group I was running with was awesome!



A few weeks back I was researching some of the trail runs here in AZ that occur during the summer.  Aravaipa Running was the first on the list which happens to be owned by Ultra marathoner Jamil Coury.  For my fellow trail runners, Jamil is a very accomplished runner and has attempted the Barkley Marathon in the last 3 years which in itself gets you mountains of street cred.  As I researched more, I found that Jamil actually hosts weekly group runs throughout the valley that anyone is welcomed to come and join….WHAT?!?!?!  I immediately reached out to some buddies to see who would be available to join one of these runs with me.  Nobody wants to visit a new group without knowing somebody lol.  So last night a buddy and I headed to some trails about 30 minutes from our house where the group was running.  It was absolutely fantastic, they put together 3 pace groups so everyone has choices based on their own experience.  My buddy and I chose to run in the middle pace group which was just about perfect for our first time out.  The group moves to different parts of the valley so it will be hard to run with them each week but I plan to join when they are a bit closer to my side of town.  Oh and did I mention the views were amazing….





8 comments:

  1. I now try and run with a group 1-2x's a week. They were a life saver the last marathon training cycle. It is a great way to meet people, and it mixes up the workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely makes the runs easier. Wish I could read all about it but I haven't seen a post in months lol

      Delete
  2. That sounds amazing! It would be great if someone near me had group runs but we are such a small town everything is too far away! Those views are great! I am jealous that I just get to see the ol' cornfields of michigan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great way to start a group run....I'm sure from AZ the views from Michigan are equally amazing.

      Delete
  3. I'm not much a trail runner because I don't like feeling so isolated (small female problems), but I would love love to try a group trail run. Those pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some getting used to. At this point I actually enjoy the isolation but group runs can be fun. I don't think my phone did the views justice.

      Delete
  4. What? ? That's so amazing!! Sounds incredibly fun . And I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? ? That's so amazing!! Sounds incredibly fun . And I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!