Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Lessons Learned

Good Morning Everyone!!

I wanted to thank all of you for the support and kind words.  You can ask Mrs. Schlub, I have high expectations when it comes to my performance and can be rather hard on myself, so it’s great to have a forum to get such great feedback and support.  So again, I thank all of you for your comments.

Following up on my race recap, I wanted to go over some lessons learned and some thoughts for the future.
Just like Vegas, I had plenty of time walking to think through what was happening, whether I want to even do this again, and what needs to happen moving forward to combat these less than desired performances.

The Aftermath:
My body was absolutely wrecked after the marathon.  Everything from my waist down was hurting, sore, and tight.  The main problem areas were my hamstrings and my left IT Band.  At this point, 2 days after the marathon my legs are feeling pretty good, much of the soreness has worked its way out of my legs.  The only remaining issue is my left IT Band.  At one point after the race my ITB swelled up pretty bad and I thought it was going to tear right off my knee.  So I started icing, massaging, and stretching and things are slowly getting better.  I went for a bike ride with Buster last night and that felt pretty good to get my legs moving without pounding the pavement.

The Take Aways:
1)      Mrs. Schlub Rocks – Again just thanking my wonderful wife for sticking with me during this whole thing.  We got to spend some time talking and laughing about my situation and having her there with me really made the whole thing much better.

2)      The Marathon Kicked My A@# - Let’s just start with the fact that the marathon is a beast.  26.2 miles is no joke and I need to start giving the distance the respect that it truly deserves.  The two marathons that I have completed truly humbled me and certainly put me in my place lol.

3)      Half A@$ Training – This is the area that has consumed my thoughts since I was diminished to a hobble at mile 15.  Building off take away #1, I haven’t been giving the marathon the respect that it deserves.  Mentally I’m thinking that I’m a good enough athlete to get by on talent alone and that on my worst day I could sail through the marathon and crack four hours.  Um…..NO!!  My training for these two marathons was nowhere close to where it needed to be.  It was good enough to “finish” the marathon but that was not my mentality once I got to the start line and started running.  Both times I came out MUCH harder than any of my training was paced at and of course my body shuts down just past the half way point. 

4)      Hydration – My hydration leading up to the marathon was great.  I was drinking a gallon of water each day and a gallon and a half the day before the marathon.  The problem I’m having is during the race itself.  I’m not drinking enough water from my water bottle and aid stations.

Moving Forward:
You bet your bottom that I’m signing up for another marathon LOL.  There is no way I am letting these bad performances be my lasting memory of the marathon.  I’m going to take some time off, let my body heal up, and then start planning for the fall.  Arizona pretty much shuts down for the summer because it gets so hot here which means I’ll be looking Aug or Sept for another crack at the marathon.  Nothing scheduled or planned yet but that is the high level plan. 

Secondly, I plan to take on a legitimate training plan where my moderate runs are ranging around 10 miles and my pacing is closer to my planned race pace.  I really want to take this next one serious and eliminate as many doubts as possible so that I can have a successful performance.

Lastly, I’m finally making the jump.  I’ve already discussed with Mrs. Schlub and I’m going to start a strength training program.  I know all of you are thinking “OMG!!!!” LOL but it’s time to make the transition.  The reason my hamstrings are cramping up and my ITB is screaming is because they are too weak for the stress I’m putting them through.  I not only want to run a successful marathon, I also want to continue improving my overall running performance and I can’t do that on talent alone.  I need to start putting in the work and stop all this Half A#$ Training!!

So there you have it, finished marathon number 2 but not quite the way that I wanted to finish.  Just need to pull up my big boy running shorts and get back out there and train harder. 

When was your last epic disaster of a run?  Do you learn more from the disaster runs or from the successful runs??

7 comments:

  1. I think not respecting the marathon is a pretty common mistake, and like you said, it's humbling. I see a lot of runners who view 26.2 as "just another race" and assume that because they are fast at half marathons they can coast through marathon training and see similar results. But marathons must be properly trained for, whether you want success or just want to finish without feeling like death, and I think that by committing to a plan you really will see the success you've deserved for such a long time. It's hard, though. The commitment to train is time consuming and intense and there are so many times when you want to give up and start slacking. But remember that all the hard work and dedication that goes into a training cycle is its own reward and, for me at least, is a bigger sense of pride than the race outcomes. A race finish time is basically just luck (given everything that can happen on race day). But all the hard work you put into get there? Nothing lucky about that, that's all you.

    I'm glad you learned so much from this and I know it will only make you stronger as a runner and a person for your next go at the ol' 26.2. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you took the information away that you did. I wouldn't say I had a epic disaster run but last year training for my first marathon was where everything went downhill. I wasn't training the way I should. No focus on strength, moving workouts around, skipping runs and letting my focus be on running with friends rather than running MY marathon. So I didn't run it. I was injured. I lived, I learned and now I am slowly working my way back into the shape I was AND I am doing strength workouts!! yay!!
    You will get what you need too out of all of this and have a great marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every race this season was an epic disaster performance wise for me - too hard to pick just one winner! :( The last few months have definitely motivated me to train hard this summer so I can get back to making improvements in my running. It sounds like you'll be right there with me training hard this spring/summer so that we can both accomplish big goals with the marathon this fall! LET'S DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learn a lot from my disaster runs...That's how we grow, right? I feel like I am trying to salvage this training for Boston--could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It truly takes running a marathon to respect the distance, something I didn't really agree with until I ran it. You've experienced it twice now, you know the pains of 26.2 and no doubt your experiences will only get better due to what you've learned along the way. REST REST REST and in six months or so you'll be jazzed to go for another PR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome the Mrs. is supportive and was with you. We do learn a lot when things don't go our way and it is good to use that info to move forward. I would not call your marathon an epic disaster...you still got to the finish! As you know I have never tackled 26.2 and I am hopeful to do it one day, but the longer my injury goes the more I wonder...
    My most disastrous half taught me a lot and I have never fallen apart in race like I did that day again.
    I am glad you are going to do another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that you can now step back, look at your race objectively, learn from your mistakes, and move forward. And YES to strength training!

    Mrs. Schlub deserves a night out on the town!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!