Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Three Days Til Raceday

Hello Everyone!!

Well we are three days away from 26.2 miles of redemption.  Honestly, it feels like just yesterday I was walking 10+ miles in Vegas cursing myself the whole way in what ended up being a very humbling experience.  But that is the beauty of this great sport, the ability to fall down, dust ourselves off, and get back out there for another run.

I have been trying real hard not to think about this race.  We have a lot going on in our day to day lives right now so that has been a bit of a blessing because I haven’t had too much time to stress myself out.  Of course here I am updating all of you and I’m getting some anxiety just writing this post lol but that’s ok I like to keep you updated on what’s happening. 

Mrs. Schlub and I have done some preliminary planning as she plans to ride on a bike crewing for me throughout this beast.  We found a Wal-mart 1 mile away from the half marathon point so that will be the first place that we meet up.  No real concern getting through the first half on my own, as we discussed it made sense that I would need her more in the second half of the race instead of the first half.  I plan to throw on the head phones and click away the miles so right now I plan to have her meet me at mile 13-14 then ride up ahead to wait for me every two miles.  Last resort if I’m really dying in the end I’ll have her ride along side me to keep me company to close this thing out.

Race start time is 6:30 am which is going to be brutal because there are all kinds of logistics that need to be worked out just getting to the start line.  I plan to wake up at 3:00 am to get all my gear packed up and make sure I’m not having any stomach issues.  Head out of the house around 4:00 am and arriving at the race finish line around 4:30 am.  I will directly jump on the bus and head to the start line.  I don’t know about all of you but I will get to the start line HOURS before I need to because I am so deathly afraid of not making it to the start line on time LOL.  It will be an early day but I prefer waiting at the start line since I have to ride the bus from the finish line.  Good Lord I’m stressing just thinking about the bus driving too slow, getting a flat tire, and on and on and on LOL.

Running wise I have kept it REALLY conservative over the last week.  I’ve done some biking, a lot of walking, and just a few low key runs.  I had planned to do one last run on the mountain this past Sunday and decided against that.  I ended up having a good time playing some basketball with a few friends which was more than enough of a workout to shake out my legs.  I really want my legs to be rested coming into the race.

Hydration has been a real intentional plan this go around.  Huge benefit is that I don’t have to deal with the travel plans like I did going out to Vegas.  The plan this week is to put down a full gallon of water each day to ensure that I am properly hydrated this weekend.  I have a slight concern for the second half of the race as it may get a little warm that day.  It will be in the 50’s around the start of the race which will be perfect and I’m really hoping the temps will stay in the 60’s while I’m coming into the finish.  We shall see.

So there you have it, the ramblings of a runner that is stressing out over his next race LOL.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have done a good taper and you have a great support plan. Be confident, it is going to better than Vegas! You are going to knock this out :) I'll be cheering from VA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you! Have fun! Go get 'em!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha the bus driving too slowly or getting a flat tire!

    Love the idea of your wife meeting you every two miles. That's enough to keep you motivated and moving forward without distracting you ever couple of minutes.

    SO EXCITED for you! Go get 'em tiger, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally got this, Schlub! If not you can jump on my pegs ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow now that's an offer! :) 3 days!!! Oh boy. You've got this covered. game on! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You totally got this. You are being smart and conservative going into it and have course support! That is incredible. Plus the peg ride might be worth it if things go south! ;) Hydration in that heat will def be key!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You totally got this. You are being smart and conservative going into it and have course support! That is incredible. Plus the peg ride might be worth it if things go south! ;) Hydration in that heat will def be key!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! You will do great and I think it's supposed to be a little cloudy which should help immensely. Just set yourself up for the best situation, fuel well and enjoy. I'm not sure how many marathons you've done, but my first marathon did NOT go as planned either. If anything it was just a huge learning (and painful and humbling and and) experience, but after that lesson I was able to pull almost an hour off at the next. I'm excited to see your "redemption" results! Good luck out there!

    And better sleep now for there will be no rest come Friday night. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!