Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Ok Panic Attack Averted

Mental meltdown has been averted for now lol.


After work yesterday I came home and started icing and stretching my feet.  Slowly the pain and tenderness started to subside.  PHEW!!!  Later that night I grabbed Buster, loaded him up in the truck, and we headed off to the park in our neighborhood.  I pulled off my shoes and walked around the park in the nice soft grass while Buster ran around the entire park doing his business.  Needless to say, my feet are starting to feel normal again. 


I know for a fact that I’m not the only one that is susceptible to these types of flip outs as a race is getting close.  I think it has to do with all the hard work that goes into preparing for a big race.  Day after day and mile after mile, all that hard work is intended for this one payoff.  Any indication that all this hard work is in jeopardy for whatever reason, our minds immediately go into anxiety mode knowing that all of that hard work could be for nothing.  I can’t tell you the HUGE sigh of relief I let out yesterday when I realized that my feet were starting to feel better.
On a random note, I have started using music during my runs again.  For the longest time I had moved away from using headphones and music during any of my runs.  I still feel very strongly that when you are running/hiking trails, you SHOULD NOT use headphones.  There are so many things that you need to be aware of in nature and I feel that headphones put you at a disadvantage.  Not to mention when I come running down your back I want you to hear me and get out of the way lol.  When it came to road running with my headphones, I became a bit of an elitist by not using them.  I felt like I was mentally stronger because I didn’t need them and was able to suffer through the agony of my labored breathing.  I was watching some of Kilian Jornet’s videos through his “Kilian’s Quest” series and he talks about distracting the mind when things start to get tough.  Well if it’s good enough for the top male ultra runner in the world than who am I to argue with that lol.  It has been a very nice change and has really helped in my training over the last couple months.  Not to mention I was listening to my music when I killed the half marathon last month.  So I think it’s pretty easy to conclude that music has great benefits and I just needed to get off my high horse.


What are your plans for Presidents Day?? – It would have been nice to get in an epic running adventure but that is only 4 days ahead of the marathon.  I think some buddies and I are trying to setup a golf outing.  That counts as cross training right?!?!

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Over the next couple of weeks I am sure you will have a couple more times that the taper gets to you and you freak a little!
    I know what its like to do the training and not race the race due to injury. It sucks...a whole stinkin' lot. Almost a year later and I am finally able to say I may be going for the 26.2 later this year...but who knows?!?!
    Of course that cross training! I will cross train from a spin bike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think golfing sounds great! Presidents Day around here is the start of winter break. We will probably go skiing. It seems like winter just started here--kind of late. I just got in from shoveling...that is cross training too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy your feet feel better! I didn't run with music for a few years then started it back up. It keeps me going, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOO! So glad your feet are feeling better!

    When I first started running I never listened to music, but since I started I haven't been able to stop. The music really helps me to zone out on long runs!

    No plans for President's Day, unfortunately. Wish I got the day off work but I don't, womp womp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think music is a personal thing. I have some friends that can't imagine doing some stuff without it. The distraction helps some people, but (at least for me) it distracts me too much and gets me in a bad mood. I know Ryan Smith (9th at UTMB) hates music on the run and doesn't even want his pacer to talk unless necessary. I'm the same way. Looks like you peaked right on time to mellow out for the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your feet are feeling better! I always freak out before a race. Every ache or pain causes me so much anxiety and I feel convinced that I'm falling apart. I am in Florida for president's day and I am running a race (A1A half marathon) on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!