Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, February 12, 2016

Making Smart Choices


This Sunday I’ll be running in the Lost Dutchman Marathon 8K trail race.  You want to know what’s crazy; this is only my second trail race EVER!!  I think about it and laugh because just about all my training runs are on trails, yet all of my races are on roads.  Who does that?!?!?!  Regardless, I am pretty excited about it because as you all know, I love running trails. 


Looking over the course map and talking to a few friends that have run this event before, it should be a pretty smooth day.  The trail we will be following runs through a lot of desert and is pretty flat and smooth.  The words that a friend used were “It’s nothing like what you run each day.”  So I’m feeling pretty good about that.

I think I’m going to take most of the advice that was given to me earlier this week and take this race nice and easy.  Overall my legs and feet are feeling pretty good and ten times better than they were on Sunday and Monday.  Although, I still have quite a bit of tightness in my calves that is taking a bit more time to work its way out.  I met up with a group of guys last night to play some pickup basketball and I was able to play just fine, but I can definitely feel the tightness in my calves.  The athlete in me wants to go at this trail as hard as I can to see what type of finish I can come up with, who knows I could be in the middle of the pack lol.  But the smart thing to do is focus on the marathon; I want to make sure I have fresh legs come the 27th.

When was the last time you ran a trail race?  Do you prefer smooth and rolling OR technical and climbing??

4 comments:

  1. Hope it's a great race! And a fun one! Looking forward to hearing about it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love hate relationship with trail running. I definitely prefer less technical trails. But I'm so accident prone I often trip over roots and fall. At the same time, I love the sense of peacefulness you get running on trails. Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran a trail race last year. They definitely have a different feel--Maybe because they are usually single track around here. Have fun! I would definitely prefer smooth and rolling trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great race. Most of the trails here are very technical and I like a true mountain trail but that a few hours to drive from me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!