Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Little Winter Vaca


We are back from a great weekend up north.  We had such a great time!!  Mrs. Schlub found this amazing 3 bedroom cabin up in the snow so we invited my family along with us and split the cabin three ways.  This made it amazingly affordable plus it is fully furnished and has an awesome kitchen so we were able to avoid the restaurant dinner bills. 


We arrived up there Friday mid-day before my family got there, unpacked all our stuff and quickly threw on our snow stuff to get a little sledding done.  Mrs. Schlub and I were a little worried about how our 3 year old would take to the snow.  She hates being cold and pretty much uncomfortable in any way (little diva lol)  so we thought she may not like the snow.  Well we were wrong, she was loving it, she even wanted to sled down our little man made bunny hill all on her own. 


Friday evening before dinner I threw on my retrofitted trail shoes and headed out for some snow/trail running.  The week leading up to our travels, I searched around the area and thought I had found some pretty good trails that I would be able to seek out.  Well I wasn’t exactly sure where the cabin was and the trails I found were nowhere close to the cabin lol.  So I ran down the little road that the cabin was on and discovered that this road was only made for the 5 cabins in this area.  So I headed back to the cabin, grabbed my snow boots and started postholing (I think that’s what the snow runners call it lol) through the forest.  After about a quarter mile of running and hiking I came across a road that had been snowed over and some of the local snowmobiles had used for some riding.  I swapped my snow boots for my trail shoes, and was able to knock out a nice little run.  After about a mile and a half I threw my snow boots back on and started to sludge through the snow again as I headed back to the cabin.

Side note, my feet were freezing!!!  I didn’t prepare my boots properly or wear the right pants so as I was postholing through the snow I was getting so much snow inside my boots.  Then when I swapped the boots for my old trail shoes, there is a huge hole in my left shoe right at my big toe.  Basically I was taking in snow the entire time I was running and my feet were pretty much frozen.  Not running in the snow very often I was seriously scared I was going to suffer from frost bite and my toes would need to be amputated lol.  Lucklily, I had started a fire in the fire place before I left the cabin so as soon as I came in, I pulled my socks off and set my feet right in front of the fire.  I quickly started to get feeling back, phew no frost bite.

The rest of the weekend was spent playing with the kids, building our own sled trails, and snowball fights.  I had hoped to get a few runs in while we were up north but sometimes life happens.  I had a ton of fun with all our family time and honestly I’m not too upset about missing a couple runs.  I have to be honest, I’m reconsidering my whole “weight room is overrated” motto….my whole upper body is sore and achy from holding onto the sled the whole weekend.  You would think such a leisure activity would have minimal impact but I guess not.  I like to think I was really shredding on that sled so that’s why I’m so sore lol.

This was one of those weekends that missing runs was 100% okay by me.  When I get my heart set on some new trails I get pretty disappointed if those plans don’t pan out, but I was having so much fun with the kids I didn’t miss the runs at all.  It was cool running in the snow but definitely needs to practice if I was going to do that on a regular basis.  I’m back in the valley now where we are seeing 50* temps and perfect running weather.  I’ll take it!!!

Have you ever been postholing before? 

When was the last time you skipped a run for some good ol fashion family time?

5 comments:

  1. "postholing" I have NO IDEA what this is! haha

    Sounds like such a great vacation though. I would have been right there with you assuming I was going to have to get my toes amputated from frost bite! What do we know about these things?! :)

    BTW I don't know if you read Kerry from Yoga on the Run but the other day she ran by Sage Canaday!

    https://yogaontherun.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/colfax-training-week-4-i-saw-sage-canaday-on-a-run/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is called postholing--when your foot punches thru the pack of snow and you sink in...now you see the benefits of snowshoes! (also Gators!) Sounds like a fun weekend. I don't feel guilty on a trip missing out on running for playing around with the family--you don't get that time back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Sounds like a GREAT weekend! I try to avoid "postholing" whenever I can but unfortunately that and "sludging" thru snow is often a regular part of my life! Glad your toes were ok! Those shoes....lol! Really funny! I guess they weren't a total success but boy I give you credit! Good adventure and adventure is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds super fun. I do kinda hate postholing though... I generally prefer cross country skiiing or snow shoes. I actually went snow shoeing this weekend (and I did see Sage Canaday, as Kristina mentioned). I totally need to modify my shoes like yours. I slip and slide on the ice and snow and it's horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like great family memories :) Snow sledding and shoveling always make me sore lol It is such a different work out.
    I have never postholing! I have no idea what that is, i need to google it lol I am dying to try snow shoeing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!