Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Getting Inspired To Run

Happy Hump Day Everyone!!


It’s been three days since the 8K trail race on Sunday and my legs feel great.  Since the race on Sunday one of the big realizations I’ve had is how beneficial cross training can be lol.  A few months back I had some issues with my mountain bike and we ended up getting rid of it because I didn’t want to go through the hassle of getting it fixed.  As Mrs. Schlub and I prepare for the marathon (I’ll be running and she plans to pit crew for me) we borrowed a mountain bike from one of our friends.  The last few nights I’ve grabbed Buster, jumped on the mountain bike, and cruised a couple miles through our neighborhood.  If you’ve been reading along here for any amount of time you know that I greatly DISLIKE any cross training that takes me away from running…BUT…I have to admit that these little bike rides have been fantastic.  Excellent way to shake out your legs while having minimal impact as running on pavement typically provides.  I don’t see myself adding full blown cross training into my plan but for the past couple nights, it has been a nice change.


On another HUGE note, Kristina over at Blog About Running shared some amazing news that has me pumped for my upcoming marathon.  Sage Canaday posted on his Twitter and Instagram account yesterday that he is officially signed up for the Western States 100……He$& Yeah!!!  Quick back story, I saw on Sage’s YouTube channel that he was headed down here to AZ to race the Aravaipa Running Black Canyon 100K last weekend because the top 2 finishers get an automatic birth to WS100.  Man oh man I cant tell you how badly I wanted to drive down to the race and just crew for Sage.  Mrs. Schlub and I were attending a marriage conference at our church that morning (which was amazing I might add) so I was unable to attend Sage’s race.  Of course he comes out, wins the race, throws down a course record, and gets his automatic birth to WS100…AMAZING!!!  Next up was for him to officially sign up and now start training for his redemption at the 100 mile distance.


As soon as I saw this, I instantly got excited about my own race.  Last year Sage attempted his first 100 mile distance at the prestigious UTMB 100 in France.  Had a rough go at it, got injured from a bad fall, and had to withdraw from the race.  Last year I attempted my first marathon in Las Vegas.  Had a rough go at it and although I was able to cross the finish line, it was pretty much a disaster.  I think Sage is gearing up for a big come back at WS100 based on the outcome at UTMB.  Similarly, I have a horribly bad taste in my mouth from Las Vegas and have every intention of making up for it in two weeks.


Inspiration comes in many forms, and as many of you know, when you get into the final weeks of marathon training your body and mind can mess with you a lot.  This refocuses my attention and really gets me excited to go out and perform at the marathon.  I don’t know how in the HE!! we can be excited about running 26.2 miles but I have to be honest, I’m pretty excited and can’t wait to throw it down in two weeks.



Do you follow any professional runners??

Outside of race events, when was the last time you were truly inspired to go out and knock out a tough distance??

7 comments:

  1. You are going to be awesome!!! Cross training, who are you?? It is not so bad is it :) Think about me though, it is all I can do now , I get sick of it lol
    You know I have a friend I talk to online who ran that race a few years and had to drop at mile 95....95! he was heartbroken. I said you ran for 24 hours 95 miles, but it took him a long time to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!! Sage and you are going to kick butt in your redemption runs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love long tough runs...they make me feel accomplished! Now that being said...I have wanted to do one forever but can't yet! I am dying to get back to double digits!! haha!
    You are going to do GREAT at your marathon in a couple weeks!! You have put in the work and are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy when I saw that Sage was trying to get a Golden Ticket to Western States! What an iconic race (and runner). I hope he does great and wins it! I follow a few runners, especially the ultra runners. I also love Kara and Meb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never run more than 14 miles. I have thought about a marathon, but I'm really not thinking it's my thing. I enjoy that half marathon distance. I am impressed by anyone who runs anything more than 13. I'm excited for you to kick this marathon's butt. You've got it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited to see what Sage can put together for WS100, he obviously has the fitness but I'd like to see how he holds up once he gets into the late miles. 2014 UROC definitely exposed that as a potential weakness. Unfortunately Krar isn't racing it this year but (at least for Americans) it looks like he'll be against Laney and Sharman. Plus whoever gets in with Golden Tickets and the Euro's they automatically admit. It will surely be exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!