Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, February 4, 2016

A little ranting

Sorry, no pictures just a lot of rambling today...

I’m pretty much in the grind of training right now.  My whole body is just tight and sluggish from the cumulative effects of marathon training.  Add to that, life is just getting busy for us right now.  Work always keeps me busy, the sports program at our church is ramping up, and kids are getting ready to start all their activities.  Life happens!!

This past weekend was a really great break and I 100% enjoyed every minute of our family time.  Now since I was sick a few weeks ago, it feels like I’m having to push through to get myself out there to run.  I hit the mountain on Tuesday and overall had a pretty solid run but I felt a little out of control on the descent.  Legs weren’t really reacting the way that I’m used to so I had to pull back on my pace and really focus on my foot placement so I didn’t lose any teeth or go flying off the mountain lol.  Honestly I feel out of shape if that makes any sense!!

I’m roughly two and a half weeks out from the marathon and I know it’s going to be here in no time.  I’m confident that I’m in much better shape than I was when Vegas rolled around but I still have some concerns. 

Concern #1 - I still haven’t hit that big 20 mile run and really hope that I can knock that out this weekend.  Since Vegas I’ve hit three runs over 15 miles but I don’t think that’s enough.  Granted, each of those runs had 1000-2000 feet of elevation gain which helps a ton but nothing is better than flat out having your legs work through 20+ miles of running. 

Let me apologize ahead of time, this is a bit of a mind dump…

Concern #2 - I have no idea what my plan is going into this run.  Although, coming out of the half marathon last month, maybe I should run all my races without a plan and just see how my body shows up that day lol.  Honestly, this is really looping in my head because I’m not sure how I want to mentally prepare for this race.  Vegas was an epic disaster and I’m almost guaranteed (of course illness and injury is always a risk) to have a much better race than Vegas.  I know on the extremely conservative side I can come in around 3:30 – 3:45 and that would be immensely better than Vegas.  So the thing that I’m struggling with is how much effort do I truly put into this race??

For me this is the redemption run and anything under 4 hours would be a success.  As I look into the future of my running, I consider the next huge milestone for the marathon to be cracking 3 hours or chasing a BQ finishing time.  I don’t see any of those happening in two weeks.  In my mind cracking 1:40 in the half marathon was a huge accomplishment and was worth every bit of effort I had to throw down last month.  Being in the 1:30ish range tells me that sub 3 hour in the marathon is possible.  With that said, I don’t see the same accomplishment in a marathon time around 3:15, 3:30, or 3:45.  So a part of me feels like I should take things conservatively, have a really smooth run, and just enjoy this run as much as possible.  As much as you can enjoy 26.2 miles right lol. 

I don’t know, you guys let me know what you think.  It’s not to the point that I’m driving myself crazy but still very undecided about how to handle this.  Then again there could be a lot of eye rolling and feedback would be just shut up and run your race lol.  Of course I’m happy to take that feedback as well, plus it would be pretty funny if someone actually posted a comment like that lol.

10 comments:

  1. I love no plan running! I am always putting so much pressure on myself and if I see that I am not hitting my paces, I'm done. I start overanalyzing and ruin the fun in the race to begin with. Go with comfortable. If you get there and you feel great run with that. If you feel underprepared or not solid, be more conservative!
    ~a race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they're capable of understanding.~ Pre

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't *need* to hit 20 miles, especially if you're no longer a first time marathoner. Many runners can get by with long runs of 16-18 miles if the rest of their training is smart and on target. I can understand your concern as I have a tendency to worry about mileage too, but console your anxiety by looking back at the QUALITY, not the quantity, of workouts you did: all that elevation, and that killer half marathon. Those things helped your endurance and preparation just as much as, maybe more so than, a 20 miler. Hitting 20 is really just a mental confidence thing. Unless you're running 100+ mile weeks, it's not really that necessary, at least not physiologically.

    I think the only "plan" you need is to focus on not going out too fast (this is so, so, so important) and try to find a pace that feels good instead of one you feel like you "have" to hit. You seem to have a lot of success in races that you go into with no plan or expectations, so maybe that tells you something. I have a time goal for my marathon but honestly I'll be happy with a race that just feels good - I pace myself well, don't blow up, have an enjoyable experience and finish strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to get Vegas out of your head. Your elevation runs are great prep and those runs will be great prep. You know what to expect now, so I know you will manage it better than Vegas.
    Stay ahead of fueling and try to just focus on the mile you are in :) Then try to focus how far you have ran when you start to feel tired :) You got this! I hope you can get that long run in, I know how bust life is with younger kids and all. Take it easy on that long run and tell your self how awesome you are going to race day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need to run 20 miles before a marathon, as others have said. If I were in your position I'd go out quite conservative and see how you feel at the 1/2 or 2/3 mark and then decide if you need to enter survival mode or drop the hammer mode. I think running for the fun of it and by feel on a regular basis is great, but when you build up to something like this its worth putting some thought and care into it. That way at the very least you can say you gave it your best effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suck it up. Go out there and run. Get outta your head. You are going to do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My plan for the marathon, is to be flexible. I would suggest running within your conservative limits through mile 16-18, and then deciding if you need to try and hold on, or push it. You have done a lot of quality training, the work is there. Listen to the Mrs. !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds like the taper terrors. A few days before a race, I always start to question everything and think that I am the worst runner ever. You're going to go out there and do great. If you dont get that 20-miler in, dont worry. There is nothing magic for your legs about hitting that number. It will certainly help your nerves come race day, but don't get down about it. Whatever happens, happens. You did the training, you did the work, the race is just a celebration of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a mid to back of the packer, those times seem insanely fast to me. You might as well be talking about the Olympic trials in my mind!

    That being said, sometimes I have my best runs when I let it all go. I'm not really in a position to give you any sort of advice since this is the first time in years I've actually been dedicated to training,but I do wish you all the best and hope your race is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Hanna, you don't need to hit 20 miles! My last marathon my longest run was 17 miles and though I mentally felt under trained because of it, I showed up and had such a strong race that I actually enjoyed the distance and had a major PR and great recovery. My coach says 2:30-3:00 of running is sufficient for peaking, anything further and your body begins to break down and you lose the benefits while increasing risks. I learned a lot that last marathon cycle.

    You're going to do great! I am excited to see how it goes and hear about your experience. Is it Phoenix on the 27th or the IMS you're running the full?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!