Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Meaning of Running

I had a fantastic long run this weekend but before I go into all details, I wanted to cover one of the big “whys” of our running.  We had a pretty full weekend and any time your schedule is jam packed your mind is constantly racing with all the aspects you have planned and all the things you need to remember.  The specifics don’t matter, but there were some situations that came up over the weekend that were clouding my thoughts and had my somewhat obsessive mind in a tailspin.  So you add the busy weekend with some thought evoking situations and we are talking mind overload.  I was sitting down with Mrs. Schlub just rambling off all the things that were spinning in my head and she could easily see that I had a lot on my mind.  This is what makes her so amazing; she gives me her feedback then gives me the perfect advice:

“You need to go out for a run…..”

Is this woman amazing or what??  She was 100% right, getting out for a run would let all that junk in my head slowly filter out and allow me to get my thoughts in order.  For me, when I have a lot on my mind, nothing is better than being out on the trail for 3 hours allowing my mind plenty of time to work through all the mess.  I get all the solitude, I get to have conversations with God, and ultimately I get done and I’m in a much better place than I was before.  That is what running does for me!!


So in dire need of extended time to myself, I headed off to the mountain to get some miles done.  I love this new to me trail and plan to buy the annual pass so I can go anytime I want.  The trail is a large loop about 7.5 miles around a mountain and has about 1200 feet of elevation gain throughout.  I hit this trail the week before the half marathon and I think the distance along with the climbing are doing wonders for my improved fitness. 

The plan was to go out with a handheld, knock out the first 7.5 mile loop under an hour, hit the truck to refill my water, and then knock out the second 7.5 mile loop for a total of 15 miles.  First loop was glorious!!  The first 3 miles are all slow grinding uphill and my legs handled that section with ease.  The middle 3 miles are the best part of the whole run.  It’s a true rolling section and one large decent that is 100% runnable and really gets that trail running adrenaline pumping.  Completed the first loop a little slower than I wanted to but made it to the truck and was really happy with loop one.  Chugged some water, refilled my handheld, and was off for loop number two.  I quickly realized that loop two was going to be much tougher than loop number one lol.  My legs were gassed, quads were burning, and my knees took a pounding.  None the less I pushed through lap number two with a bit slower pace and a lot more hiking lol.

I’m starting to hit this strangely confident place in my running right now.  In the past when my legs were burning and my legs were getting tired it would be very easy for me to shut it down and walk or sometimes even shut down the entire run and call it a day.  The last few months including the half marathon, I’ve been able to push through all that fatigue and keep running.  It really is the thought of “just keep your legs moving” and my body is responding even though it wants to stop.  It’s a great feeling and really gives me a lot of confidence with 5 weeks until the marathon.

So there it is, full weekend recap.  Got a little bit of everything, some life drama and an epic trail run, can’t ask for anything more lol.

What type of therapy does running provide for you??

3 comments:

  1. Great therapy isn't it!? whether it's been running, cycling, snowboarding , climbing.... all of these things put me in a postive place! Great for dissipating stress and anxiety and bringing peace to my life. Clear the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great run! That trail sounds awesome. And that you are able to push through the challenges!

    I have needed a lot of runs for that reason lately - so much stress right now and the runs help BIG TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, I love that you're experiencing all of these confidence building runs leading into the marathon! I'm really excited for you!

    The Mrs. always seems to know all of the right things to say and do. You are one lucky guy to have her by your side. It's unfortunate for Adam that he has me and I rarely have good advice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!