Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Planning My Running Adventures

Meg over at Meg Go Run was discussing Dreadmill running yesterday, so my response was in typical Schlub fashion…I absolutely despise the Dreadmill.  Although, I did mention that some of the running adventures I have planned this year may require a large amount of Dreadmill running with the incline cranked up to the max.  She then responded by asking “which running adventures??”  So I thought I would go into those plans because I’m pretty excited about them.

Number 1 – Snow Running – I know this is the desert but yes we have a little bit of snow.  Mrs. Schlub and I typically try to take the kids up north to knock out some sledding but really haven’t done so since we have been running.  So this weekend we are taking the kids up north to get some snow time.  Thought this was the perfect opportunity to get a long run in through the snow covered woods.  Not sure what condition the trails and roads will be in so I plan to bring my normal trail shoes along with my old pair retrofitted with some self made microspikes.  Thanks Sage Canaday.  I’ll take lots of pictures because this should be pretty epic.  No Dreadmill running needed so I’m safe.


Number 2 - The Marathon – I can’t forget about this.  As excited as I am for things later in the year, this is the redemption run coming out of Vegas in November.  This is the focus of all my training right now and the goal that really is itching at me because I can’t have Vegas as my lasting memory at 26.2 miles lol.  My current training plan has me hitting around 21 miles on the trails so I feel confident that my current plan will get we properly trained for this event.  No Dreadmill running needed so again I’m safe.


Number 3 – Humphreys Peak – This mountain is in northern AZ and is the highest point in the state.  This is where many of the professional runners reside because Flagstaff is a great training location.  I’m sure all the trail runners know a man by the name of Rob Krar.  So I finally want to head up north and tackle this beast.  The main trail leading to the summit is about five miles and includes about 3,300 feet of elevation gain.  Nothing I run down here in the city would properly train me for a constant climb of 3K feet over 5 miles.  So this may be one of those instances where I crank up the incline and grind through some miles. 


Number 4 – The Grand Canyon – eeeeeekkkkk!!!!  That’s right; I want to take my first stab at the canyon.  I’m in the process of planning this because there is a lot that would go into this run.  I would want Mrs. Schlub there before and after so logistics would need to be planned out including a place to sleep.  I also do not want to tackle this alone; I would feel more comfortable running with someone or a small group just in case something goes wrong.

The general info on the rim to rim is that you go from the south rim dropping about 4,400 feet over about 8 miles to the river.  Then you climb to the north rim which is about 5,000 feet over 13 miles.  It’s the 5,000 feet of climbing that concerns me, so again I would need a lot of long drawn out climbing and the Dreadmill is really the only way to simulate that.


So those are the big running adventures I have planned this year.  Nothing is set in stone or fully planned but that is what I have in mind.  In my mind I see myself moving away from the road racing world and getting out in nature a bit more.  The race vibe and race medals are always a great feeling, but I want to start testing my limits.  Standing on top of a summit and looking out over the land is an amazing feeling and really lets you appreciate your blessings and a true sense of accomplishment.

Of course then you have to head back down and destroy your quads but that is a story for another day lol. 

Do you plan running adventures outside of our typical organized race events?

What was the last summit/high point that you conquered and felt that sense of accomplishment?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun running adventures! Rim to rim sounds awesome, I have friends that do it each year and I would love to give it a shot sometime. I also would love to venture up to Flag more often since it's so close, especially since I'm far north valley already.

    Just races for me this year. I am working with a coach and he has me progressing faster than I have ever in my whole running career, so I am pretty race motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those goals sound awesome. Rim to rim would be amazing. That sounds like it will take a lot of planning.
    The last time I felt like I conquered something running wise was Monday. I did 13 miles on the winding hilly roads by our new house. It was probably more of a mental block than physical, but it was very real. It was pretty, but it is done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and I are going to hike the GC!!!! It probably won't be until he retires in 4 yrs. I am wondering how to plan this adventure. I feel like the safest way is to go with a group? You know.. pay a thousand bucks or something but at least we will have a guide. What do you think? Clearly I need to do more research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really utilize my treadmill in the winter and quite enjoy my "adventures" running in the snow. Snowy trail runs have become some of my favorite.

    We have something called the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon here. They put on a rim to rim Marathon. I've been wanting to check that one out. You've now just inspired me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, talk about a year full of adventures! I'm excited to follow along.

    As far as Humphrey's Peak, I'm pretty sure I read something or heard an interview where Rob Krar said he runs up that regularly - like once or twice a week?? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!