Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Need Some TLC


Happy Monday everyone!!

So the bottom line is I’m on full scale rehab mode right now!!

It started on Friday…my legs felt super tired and overworked.  Up and down my legs I had general fatigue and my left ITB was feeling a little tight.  I was supposed to knock out a 20 mile trial run on Saturday morning but didn’t think that was wise with the way my legs were feeling.  I decided to reschedule my long run and just sleep in hoping my legs just needed extra rest.  I ended up sleeping around 10 hours between my naps on the couch Friday night and sleeping in on Saturday morning.  That typically doesn’t happen for me so it was actually pretty glorious lol.

With the back to back rest days, I planned to knock out my long run Sunday morning before church.  Then Mrs. Schlub reminded me that we were having company over Saturday night and we were going to be playing some family games.  Everyone had a great time and once again I was rescheduling my long run.

I had some items on my honey do list so Mrs. Schlub and I agreed that once those were finished up, I could go out for a nice long run on Sunday afternoon.  After church and my list, I finally hit the trail around 4 pm.  I was trying a different trail for the first time and was looking forward to the new location.  The park map says the loop is 7.5 miles which is perfect for the changes I am making to my training.  The plan was to run one loop, stop at the truck to see how my legs are feeling and refill my water, and then head back out for a second loop.  I was trying one of Mrs. Schlub’s hand held water bottles for the first time (yes it is fluorescent pink lol) to see if I can shed the water pack.

I hit the trail and quickly realized that this was not going to be a cake walk.  I felt like I was climbing the entire time through the first 4 miles.  Regardless, my legs responded well, my climbing legs are really improving with all the vert I’m throwing down these days.  Around mile 5 the trail turned downhill and I was ready to just bomb down the trail.  It was this section that I thrashed my foot and why I’m in rehab mode now. 
I was moving downhill at a pretty good pace, I went to plant my right foot and BOOM…smashed my foot into some big rocks.  It felt like when I planted my foot, my foot pronated, and slid into all the rocks.  In our foot the 5th metatarsal runs on the outside and has a small portion protruding around the middle of the foot.  That is the area that went crashing into the rocks and where I’m feeling the pain.  The good thing is that there is no bruising and no swelling so I’m pretty sure this is a blunt force trauma injury and nothing more.

Like I said, this was around mile 5 so I was able to run the remaining 2.5 miles and finish the full 7.5 mile loop.  Once I got back to the truck, I pounded a gel shot, refilled my water, and started to head out again.  I got a quarter mile into the trail and stopped to think through the second loop.  I had a lot of things going against me; foot was hurting, running out of light, etc.  So I decided to pack it in for the day and head home to rehab.

As soon as I got home I threw my foot in an ice bath which is always agonizing but it actually made my foot feel better shortly after.  When I woke up this morning my foot was sore and a little tender but I’m able to walk on it with minimal discomfort when bearing weight.  Again, I think this was your basic blunt force trauma injury and all will be well by the end of the week.

What to take away from this run??

I don’t train to take it easy.  I’m sure most would look at their upcoming races and take it easy for fear of injury.  I’m not talking about tapering which is completely beneficial, but running a bit more conservative to avoid any accidents.  The problem I have is that just doesn’t add up in my mind.  I love trails more than anything and I get a rush from bombing downhill whenever possible.  This was just a freak accident and I need to be more careful in the future.

This new trail was awesome.  It was a 7.5 mile loop and the first 4 miles were all climbing.  Once you grind through that you get some truly awesome downhill and rolling sections that are absolutely fun to run.  I ended up logging about 1200 feet of elevation gain which is much more than I anticipated.  I will be logging many more miles on this trail in the future.

The hand held is going to be an easy transition.  Mrs. Schlub has two handhelds and yesterday I tried the smaller of the two.  This was ALMOST enough water for me on the 7.5 mile loop.  This has me feeling confident for the half marathon this weekend and the marathon next month.  They have aid stations much more frequent where I can fill up more often and stay hydrated. 

I need to figure out where to put my phone and my gels.  Mrs. Schlub and I have elastic waist belts that have a bunch of different compartments on them.  I was using this yesterday to hold my phone while I listened to music.  The bouncing was annoying and sometimes the belt starts to slip.  Need to experiment with the belt and the pocket on the water bottle to see what works best.

So there it is, have to pull back a bit because my foot is all banged up.  I’m still feeling good about my fitness so I’m not worried at all.  Just need to keep icing the foot and stretching.

Do you run a bit more conservatively before upcoming races due to fear of injury? 

Any other measures you take to ensure you make it to the start line injury free

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! It sounds like you will be okay by the weekend so that is good.
    I always try to save myself for a race!
    I have this belt that holds an Iphone 6 and it doesn't bounce at all.
    http://www.amazon.com/Running-Camden-Android-Smartphone-Perfect/dp/B00H1RB5LS/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1452540440&sr=1-7&keywords=running+belts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your foot, and it sounds like you made a good call to stop your run and head home to ice it. Hope it heals quickly! Before my very first marathon I was a mess! I was so afraid that I'd get hurt and not be able to run. I wanted to live in a bubble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smashed my pinky toe into a rock or log of sorts last year and swore it was broken. It ended up just being a hard hit, feet have tons of nerves in them so the pain can be quite overwhelming. Think of how little physical damage stubbing your toe is relative to the massive amount of pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I run pretty conservatively, so I don't need to take it easy before a race. However, I will do things like not go skiing before a race. I don't think I have the dexterity to "bomb" down the hills!! Hey, if it's what gets you out there--go for it! I hope the foot continues to heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!