Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, January 7, 2016

More to Ponder

This is why I love the blogging and social media world.  There are so many people out there with similar passions coupled with tons of experiences that are always willing to share and support.  I received great feedback from all of you yesterday related to my upcoming races.  I have a much better idea of how I’m going to tackle this thing and can’t wait for race day to get here.


Second order of business; what gear I’m going to use for the half marathon??  At this point in my running life, I’ve taken a hydration pack on all my runs longer than 10k.  In the past it was always a necessity but as my fitness has improved and my body has acclimated to running, I’ve needed the hydration pack less and less.  As I strategize for next weekend, I’m contemplating ditching the full hydration pack and going with a hand held.  This would be a good trial run because the real plan is to train this way for the next month and a half in hopes to shed the gear for the full marathon.  I think a month and a half of training will give me sufficient time to get used to running without my pack.


Looking over the course next weekend, they will have aid stations every 1 mile – 2 miles throughout the race.  If I have a hand held I think that is more than enough aid stations to keep me hydrated.  I plan to hit the mountain on my lunch break today and see how the hand held works out for me.  On Saturday I have a 20 mile trail run planned so I’m in the process of mapping out my drop bags.  This will allow me to use the hand held and then refill my water and various points along my route.


It’s exciting to be mulling over all the options for improving my running experience.  There is excitement in the unknown:  Will this work?  Will this fail miserably?  And so on….

What type of gear did you use for your last marathon or half marathon?

How much training time do you give yourself when you’re making a big change to your running routine??

4 comments:

  1. That is always tricky because you get used things...
    I use a hand held now on all my short runs, I use a pack if I going over 12 miles on training run. I put tablet of Nuun in all the time. I love Nuun, so I worried at my last two half marathons because they only have powerade or water at the stations. Richmond I ended taking one of the really thin flimsy disposable water bottles and put my Nuun in it and drank it all by mile 5. I would crush the bottle down in my hand as I drank it down,and tossed by the bottle when it was empty. I ended only needing minimal from the stops.
    When I ran the hilly race I just depended on the stops, I drank Nuun on the way up because it was hour and half from home. I'd rather not carry anything if possible, but it depends on the circumstances...how far from home, how early, etc...
    I would try a few runs for sure with anything new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a minimalist. I have never run a race, or a long run carrying water on me. If a run is over 12 miles I will drop a water bottle around mile 9...It is actually something I need to work on more is staying better hydrated during training. During the races, I have always just relied on the water stations. That being said, we live in VERY different parts of the country and it is not nearly as dry and warm here!! The only thing I have in my pocket during races is 2 immodium--Just in case!!
    I don't think I give myself enough grace when it comes to changing my training...I am struggling now with how challenging (hilly) my new routes are and how "beat up" I feel...
    20 mile trail run, WOW! I always find I am more tired after running on the trails. Definitely a great training run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always depended on the water stops for the bigger marathons (like Marine Corps, etc.), but carried a fanny pack water bottle for my training runs and the few trail marathons I did. Since my back injury I've switched to a hand-held because the water bottle pressure against my back bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am solidly addicted to running with my hydration pack for runs over 10 miles. Below that I like to run with my handheld. I also like to carry one or the other during a race, instead of relying on race aid stations. That being said, for the longest time (like the first two years of running) I always relied on the aid stations for a race. I loved not having to carry anything at all with me. It sounds like this race has ample support for you to run with just your handheld. The only consideration is whether or not having to rely on the aid stations more may slow you down, if they are crowded.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!