Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 18, 2016

I Couldn't Help It


Happy Monday Everyone!!


For those that don’t want to read through all the long winded details, here is the quick overview of this weekends races…


Saturday – 5K – finishing time was 21:49 – Not a bad run, went a little harder than I wanted to but overall felt good about the run.  Honestly, I think sub 20 min was possible if I was actually racing the 5k.




Sunday – half marathon – finishing time was 1:39 – This was just about a perfect run.  Again I went out way harder than I wanted to but once I saw that a sub 1:40 was possible I said “what the he$%” and went after that time.






I’m working on my video recap right now, shot a bunch of different video and I’m in the process of putting them together.  BTW I was in the zone on Sunday so I got very little footage, sorry lol.



Friday night was pretty casual.  I was drinking lots of water and got to bed a little later than I planned.  I woke up around 5am and went through my pre race routine.  I arrived at the race location about an hour before start time so I got a primo parking spot.  I sat in the car taking advantage of the warmth for a bit reading over some of your blogs.  Finally I grabbed my drop bad and headed to the gear check.  We were looking at low 40 temps so I made sure to bundle up until the very last moment.  I pulled off my sweats and jacket then jogged over to the start line.  I was able to meet up with friends and snap a few pictures before moving up to the front of the corral for the start of the race.  Ran into a problem at the start line because my watch lost signal with the satellites and had to re-sync.  I actually missed the first half mile until it finally found the satellites again.  It was rough trying to pull back because everyone went out quick but that was the plan.  As we passed mile 1the race clock showed about 7:24.  Mile 2 had some downhill sections so I was able to cruise through and click that mile off around 6:40.  I just tried to keep the last mile pretty smooth and ended up clicking it off around 7:00.  I ended up finishing the 5K with a time of 21:49 and an average pace of 7:02.  Not bad, felt really good about this run given I was not racing this distance.  As I said above, I think sub 20 min was possible if the goal was to hammer away at the 5K.  But I had 13 miles the next day so I think I made the right decision.



Saturday night I took the chance of having chicken wings as Mrs. Schlub and I were kid free and decided to have a little date night.  The AZ Cardinals were playing the Packers so we went out to eat.  Ended up not being a problem but I’m not going to lie, I thought for sure I was going to have stomach issues.  I woke up around 5am again and went through the same pre race routine as the day before.  I arrived at the race location around the same time but this time there were all kinds of parking restrictions.  Had to drive around a bit more and didn’t quite get the primo spot that I wanted.  The half marathon has a starting line about 1 mile from the finish line so I walked with the crowd over to the start line.  I hit the restroom, then the bag check, and started to get geared up.  Again we were looking at low 40 temps so I had to shed off a bunch of layers before gear check.  Then of course I have to hit the restroom again.  So I jog over to the restroom bank and wait in line for what feels like FORVER!!  I had to run over to the start line and I just made it to the corral as the Elite class was counted down.  I didn’t even get to see my friends for our customary pre race pictures because I was busy rushing over to my corral.  The countdown was on and we were off.  The plan was to cruise along at 8 min/mile until mile 9 when I hit the giant hill.  Then handle the hill and push through the last 3 miles as hard as I can.  Mile 1 clicked off at 7:26….”Ok a little fast but I feel good so I can bank this time for later”.  Then mile 2 clicked off at 7:25….”Ok still a little fast but still feeling good”.  At this point my entire race plan changed on the spot, it now became holding a 7:30 pace until mile 10 when I hit the big hill.  Things went as planned and I got to mile 10 not sure how my legs were going to hold up.  I actually made short work of the hill and was able to hold pace up the entire thing….”Thank you trail running LOL”.  Once I passed mile 10 I saw the time clock and it showed 1:15:00 and I knew that I had 30 minutes to knock off 1:45 and a new PR.  As I got closer to the last mile I saw that 1:39:00 was possible and I just kept pushing to get there.  I crossed the finish line with a course clock of 1:39:35 and a chip time of 1:39:07.  WOW!!





Great weekend, but the biggest surprise is how well the half marathon played out.  I am not the type of person to self promote and overly proclaim my successes but I have to tell all of you….I am 150% ecstatic about this half marathon.  The run pretty much played out perfectly for me and on this day, I couldn’t have asked any more of my fitness and my body. 



So that’s it for now everyone, I’m going to ride this high for a little bit longer because it sure does feel good lol.



How was your weekend?



When was the last time that your race plan played out perfectly?

8 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! So happy for you. How do your legs feel now? Time to recover like a beast!!
    Did you take any fuel during the race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! Those are both super awesome times!! All those trails you've been climbing really have paid off! So glad you had a great race. Now keep up the hard work and I'm sure you'll have a great marathon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats on that awesome HM PR, and with a speedy 5K the day before!!!! I had my race plan play out perfectly at my last marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! So happy for you! but wait , forget about the race...let's talk about that football game! ha ha ha, just kidding! (Aaron Rodgers though! My god that was an incredible pass and reception!) When you mentioned the wings I was worried!! Glad it all played out so very very well!! GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Those are some cool medals! I'd like to do RnR Arizona sometime but we were recently out that way for RnR Vegas so it may be a while till we race out west again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your sub 1:40! That's awesome. It sure was nice weather for a race, I'm glad it all came together for you! Kinda jealous about all those sweet Remix medals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woooo! High five :) That is a fantastic half marathon time! I knew you could do it. You had a great weekend, I am sorry you ended getting a bug, but you needed the rest. I just read your other post lol I am so happy you got awesome race times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ran fantastic times for both races. I'm very impressed with your half marathon race given the hard effort at the 5K the day before. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!