Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 4, 2016

#getmarathonready

Happy Monday to everyone!  Hope you all had a blessed holiday.


I am 13 days from my first race of the year where I will be pulling double duty at the PF Chang’s Rock N Roll Marathon here in Phoenix.  After a sweet discount that made the races 2 for 1, I signed up to run the 5K distance on Saturday and turn around and run the Half Marathon distance on Sunday.  These two races combined with Las Vegas should award me 4 medals when I’m done.  Hey it’s all about the BLING right!!


After my epic run the previous weekend, I planned to take it easy last week to let my legs rest.  Well that’s just not how my brain operates lol.  I sent a mass text to all my buddies to see who wanted to run some trails on Friday morning at a mountain that I haven’t run before.  There is no better way to start out the year than getting out there and running some trails.  I got two takers on the punishment I was about to put them through and it was on.


So two weekends ago I did just under 18 miles with almost 3000 feet of climbing.  On my cut back week I decided on a 10 mile out and back with about 1500 feet of climbing.  When I got to the park, we laced up, threw our packs on, and hit the trails.  This mountain was no walk in the park, it certainly tested my climbing legs and put a hurting on the guys I was running with.  We climbed 600 feet in the first mile and just over 1000 feet in the first three miles. I had planned an additional 2 miles before we turned around and headed back to the cars but I stopped and asked the guys what they wanted to do.  We decided to turn around at the 3 mile mark and turn the run into a 6 mile run.  The return back to the car was all downhill and we were able to make short work of the return run.  After thanking the guys and getting ready to head back home, I decided I wanted to get a few more miles in for the morning.


I grabbed my pack again and jumped on another trail to hit the high point in the trails.  Little lower than the summit but still a great climb and a great view of the valley.  Overall I knocked out 10.6 miles and 2300 feet of climbing.  A bit more climbing than I originally planned but my legs felt great so I just went along for the ride.


I completely took Saturday off but I honestly felt like I could have gone out for a few miles.  Got back out on the road last night and knocked out about 4 miles.  The great thing about last night’s run is that I was able to knock out a couple miles at 7:00 min pace.  Took Buster for a quick half mile run, dropped him off at home, and then took off on my own.  Legs felt great so I decided to work on pacing for my races.  Ran a mile at 7:00 min pace, took a quarter mile jog, and then knocked out another mile at 7:00 min pace.  The good thing is that 7:00 min pace is started to feel easier and easier to that is giving me a lot of confidence with my races coming up.

Forecast out here in AZ calls for rain all week so I am looking for any opportunity to get out on the trails and run through the sloppy trails.  I cut out on lunch and hit the mountain for a quick run.  It was windy and wet but I still put in a good run.  True to form around the beginning of the year, the trail was littered with hikers.  I thought for sure the conditions would have scared off all the “Resoluters” but there was still plenty out today.  None the less I got a good run in and we will see if I can get up on the mountain again tomorrow.



Are you running into “Resoluters” on your runs or in the gym??

3 comments:

  1. Great runs! That climbing is making you stronger :) Love the views.
    I love an extra bling run. You better carb up before that weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always about the bling! :-) Good luck next weekend, and don't forget to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't get over that 18 miles with 3000 feet! That's a lot. This past weekend I did 15 miles with a little over 1700 feet in elevation gain, and that was enough for me.

    You better take it easy on your trail running buddies, or they may not be as quick to say yes in the future. My advice is to ease them into it so they don't realize what's actually happening, ha! ;-)

    I don't know that I've seen any "resoluters" but I like that you have! I saw someone refer to this time of year in the gym as "tourist season" which I thought was pretty funny. I think the same can probably be applied to your trails!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!