Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Struggle

Running is HARD!  Not just because we go out and struggle knocking out a run, but there are so many other aspects that go into this sport.  Although discovering this very late, I have a true passion for running but I’m naturally one of those runners that wants to get to my goals NOW.  Unfortunately, that’s not possible.  I have to constantly remind myself that this is all a building process and it takes time and patience.  You can’t go from a 9 min mile to a 7 min mile without training over time. 

I’ve been watching a lot of videos from Kilian Jornet and Sage Canaday and it has me aching to get out and run some trails.  Because of my natural instincts, this is usually when I get myself into trouble.  In the past this is the process that has lead to overuse injuries like ITB and PF.  I think recognition and acceptance is key, but this is where my internal battle with running comes into play.

Since last Wednesday I’ve had a pretty good amount of elevation gain in my runs compared to the flat runs I was doing leading up to the marathon.  So naturally my legs felt a bit tight and tired last night as Buster and I did a shakeout run up to our park.  Based on that, I decided I was going to move my Wednesday trail run to Thursday and take my rest day instead.  Very smart move to let my legs get some rest…BUT…that doesn’t take away the desire to run. 

Its this struggle that has me follow other runners that blog.  The struggle is real, as I sit in my chair typing and playing the same argument over and over in my head:

Man I could totally be running right now…

No, that’s not the right thing to do, you need to let your legs rest…

We have amazing weather so if I take it easy that wouldn’t put too much strain on my legs…

Just let it go, one run is not going to make a huge difference but resting your legs will…

And on and on and on lol…

Do you struggle more with the physical struggles or the mental challenges that come with running??

2 comments:

  1. OH MAN, I simply cannot watch running videos on days when I know I'm not going to be able to run. At the same time, if I ever don't feel like running I know all I have to do is watch this one Hardrock 100 video from a couple of years ago when Scott paced Seb to a win. That always gets me fired up!

    I would suggest laying off the crack... er the running videos on days you can't run! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the time!! I want to run more than my body will let me...ugh. I have been trying to rest and get rid of these current niggles so I can get back to some consistency. You know I ran a very long time without these current kind of issues. i am trying to figure out what my true sweet spot is. Think about what your sweetest stretch of running was.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!