Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Running Free

I know I need to start throwing down some longer runs but I absolutely love running up and down the mountain near my work.  Max I’m getting on these runs is 3 miles but I really feel like I’m building leg strength because of the elevation gain and climbing that I have to do.  Plus it gets down to 30* in the early morning and that is WAY too cold for me to run lol. 


So yesterday on my lunch break I hit the mountain pretty good.  Total distance ended up being just over 3 miles and total elevation gain was 828 ft.  Ascent time to the saddle was pretty typical of what I’ve been throwing down lately so I was pretty pleased with my climbing.  The descent was where I was feeling a bit concerned.  My body felt really clunky and my legs didn’t feel as springy as they typically do.  There could still be some lingering effects from my runs over the weekend but I don’t particularly like that feeling when I’m coming down the mountain.  I felt like I was stomping and plodding the whole way down the mountain.  It made me feel a bit out of control which can always lead to a slip or fall, and those are never good.  Regardless, I made it down the mountain safely and overall in a pretty good time for my lunch break runs.



Something I’ve been noticing is that I’ve been running pretty free as of late.  My legs feel amazing and I’ve been able to lace up my shoes and just go out for runs.  It feels like for the longest time I was monitoring my ITB or my PF and a slew of other nagging injuries that was always in the back of my mind even on recovery runs.  The last couple weeks all that has been gone and I’ve been able to just enjoy running again.  Now I’m probably jinxing myself right now by actually calling it out, but I think we can all agree that if feels pretty amazing when your body is feeling good.



Ever have that feeling of “oh man I’m running a little ragged right now, this is not good!!” ??

Have you ever had that “free” feeling or are you constantly battling little nagging pains??

3 comments:

  1. I think sometimes the pressure from an upcoming race causes us to feel phantom aches and pains - or at least it magnifies them. When I don't have a race on the horizon I think I run much freer.

    I can't believe you're getting temps in the 30s! That's not fair, you're supposed to be sweating it out like me!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have some great weather to run! I felt very fortunate to get through the last marathon training cycle without injury. Even my recovery was good. That being said, I think the feeling of those totally "free" running days are when I am able to go out there with no expectations except logging in some miles on the trails...So nice.
    Lately I have been feeling the time constraints of too much to do--we are moving in one week--ahhh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing to feel "free"- I get it :)
    Your elevation gain surely translates into speed and endurance. SO glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!