Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, December 3, 2015

One of "Those Runs"

You just have to love “those runs.”  Those runs where you go out with a slight plan in mind but no real commitment to distance and pace….THEN….BAM…..you throw down a solid run.


I’ve had this lingering feeling that I need to start throwing down some longer runs in preparation for the half marathon I have planned in January.  So last night I planned to run 5 miles, 2 pretty easy with Buster then an additional 3 at a pretty comfortable pace.  After we put the kids to bed, I grabbed Buster and we headed up to the park in our neighborhood.  Alternated running and walking to let Buster do his business on just about every tree and bush along the sidewalk.  At the end of the first mile we took a small break and I decided “let’s get after this second mile.” 

I wanted to put in a hard effort while also continuing to work on my form.  As we got back to the house my watch clicked off at 6:49…Boom!  I have to hand it to Buster, I thought for sure at some point he would let me know he was getting tired but he hung in there like a champ.  I brought him back into the house and headed back out again.

I started mile 3 pretty conservatively but my stride felt great.  At this point I was running along a loop in a nearby neighborhood that has 3 – 4 – 5 mile natural loops throughout the neighborhood, so I decided to run the 5 mile loop and make it 7 miles total.  Things were just flowin and I was clicking off miles like crazy.


I think that was a pretty solid negative split in miles 3-6 and overall a strong run with a warm up and cool down.  I think it’s a bit unfair after mile 2 because I had to stop my watch and drop Buster off at home but you know what….I’ll take it LOL.

Again, you have to love “those runs.”  For me, these runs are absolutely necessary in the big picture.  These runs prove what is possible with continued training, they validate that the process is working, and ultimately for me they remind me why I love running.  I hope your next run is one of “those runs” because they are down right awesome lol.

When was the last time you had one of “those runs”??

When you thrown down one of “those runs” how does it help build in your training?

3 comments:

  1. Great job! I haven't had one of those runs in a while. I have been taking it pretty easy since the marathon. Once we move, I will start being more disciplined with my training. I love getting to know my times for faster miles, because then I can adjust my speed work splits accordingly.
    My dogs think Buster is making them look bad. They still will only do cool-down walks with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one!! I love how consistent you held your pace for three of the miles. I love when you get a good rhythm like that. I love those kind of runs. My last one was my PR half for sure. The energy was high and I was zoned out :)
    I am hoping I have one those runs this weekend...but I have barely run due to the PF so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, THAT GAME. OUCH. touchez!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!