Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Now That Was Epic


Yesterday had to be one of my most epic runs EVER.  After you run for a while, you will inevitably have some solid runs where you hit a solid pace, knock out a long distance, or nail your “A” goal in a big race.  Then there are those basic training runs that somehow have a HUGE impact on your running and those runs turn out to be just as memorable as your runs in big races.

My run yesterday started out pretty normal.  I headed out of the office for a lunch time run up on the mountain.  Changed in the car on my way over, found a pretty good parking spot, threw my shoes and pack on, and headed up the mountain.  I was messing with some new video footage at different points during the climb but still hit the saddle in a pretty solid time.  (Side note - I’m thinking one of these days I need to hit the mountain at the crack of dawn when nobody is on the mountain to see what time I can throw down to the saddle.  Without the hikers I think sub 20 min is obtainable.  We will see.)  I hung out at the saddle for a couple minutes, enjoying the scenery and listening to the hiking banter.



Quick tangent, I always get a kick out of hearing all the chatter that people have up on the mountain.  There is a really nice resort at the base of the mountain and some guys were hiking up from the resort.  Obviously first time up the mountain so they were talking about the distance and elevation gain.  Looked up the mountain to where they needed to go for the summit and were a bit hesitant to continue further lol.  That was pretty standard but I have heard some wild stories as I’m passing hikers on the trail.

So after my little break, I packed up my phone, sipped some water, and headed back down the mountain.  I quickly came upon hikers and this is the first point that leads to the epicness of this run.  I am a very courteous runner, when I come upon some hikers, I usually stop and hike behind them until they notice that I’m there and allow me to pass.  Sometimes it is pretty quick that they notice and other times you have beginner hikers that don’t know the trail etiquette and it takes a bit longer for me to pass.  I passed a few groups then I came across two ladies heading down just gingerly making their way along the trail with no real regard for me being behind them.  As I was hiking behind them waiting for the opportunity to pass, another runner came up behind me.  And this is where things get awesome!!

At this point the two ladies were attempting to step over and let me by, at the same time this other runner behind me just bushwhacked the trail and KEPT…ON…MOVING!!  A quick note here, I was already pretty intrigued at this exact moment.  First, again I am a very courteous runner and don’t typically barrel past hikers like this gentleman did.  Second, I don’t typically see other runners up on the mountain and especially other runners that are PASSING me on the mountain lol.  So as this guy sped past these ladies, I decided to tuck in right behind him and see if I can keep up.

WE WERE ABSOLUTELY BOMBING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN!!!

He never stopped for the hikers.  He just barreled through them as he was running down the mountain, it was amazing.  Because I was tucked in behind him and I always feel obligated, I made sure to say excuse me and thank you as we passed the hikers on the trail.  The speed and the free feeling was awesome.  I had no problem keeping up with him and actually had to pull back in a few spots so I didn’t run right into him.  Because I know the mountain so well, we came to a spot that is particularly nasty for running.  There are a number of drop offs into very tight footholes and I usually hike in this section because I don’t need any twisted ankles.  But I have also been taking a side section in this area that is a big untraveled and has a lot of loose gravel and rocks but allows for more running.  When we got to this section he took the typical route that caused him to slow a bit, I cut over to the side section and bombed right past him.  From that point on I was bombing my way down and absolutely smoked him back to the car.  BOOM!!

I have to be honest, I’m sure this guy had no idea that we were racing lol.  I’m sure at some point once I was in front he pulled up or stopped and took a break and there I was just bombing away with the thought that I’m smoking this guy down the mountain LOL.  None the less, it felt amazing to draft off of this guy, pass him at a point, then finish off the run strong.  I can’t remember the last time I hit the decent that hard and felt that confident with the technical sections of the mountain.

Last thought, and Mrs. Schlub brought this up to me when I was excitedly telling her about this epic run.  It could have easily been pretty creepy that I was following so closely behind this guy LOL.  He and I didn’t exchange any words at any point during our sections of running together.  So I could easily see him thinking “why the H#$% is this guy following so close behind me” LOL.  Regardless, this guy helped me throw down a pretty epic and memorable run and I’ll take that any day.

Oh man I’m still excited about this run even a whole day later!!!

When was your last epic run?  Do you think it was pretty creepy drafting behind this guy without some type of verbal exchange??

4 comments:

  1. I love this, and sometimes the best races are the ones when the other person doesn't know you're racing! :-) Didn't you feel free and totally like a child flying down that mountain? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would be scared going fast down the mountain, I am not as nimble as I would like to be. I think it was fine to follow behind him. It sounds like it is a pretty well-traveled trail so he wouldn't be freaked out.
    I haven't had an epic run in a while. I have been doing a lot of "cross training" unpacking boxes, which has made all my runs (I have been missing a lot too) sluggish.
    THANKS for increasing the font!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! love it :) See he may have been trying to get away from you lol just kidding, that is great motivation to have someone clear the path for you. I have done that outside, I have latched onto a runner and just followed their path...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha great story! You had me laughing about your race with the other runner down the mountain. You know the best way to win a race is to make sure the other person doesn't know you're racing ;-)

    You should find out who he is and run with him sometime, if he's local. Sounds like y'all would make a great pair and would really push each other!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!