Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, December 28, 2015

It Finally Happened...Mrs. Schlub Guest Post

What is the biggest sacrifice you have ever made to run??

I am currently in the midst of my biggest sacrifice for the second time….

In October 2014, I was on an all time high with my running life.  I was running regularly and involved in friendly step competitions with my friends through our Fitbit trackers.  With the excessive miles it was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened, and it did.  I over trained that month and was having uncomfortable pain in my feet.  As the pain grew more and more uncomfortable with the increased activity, I knew from past Dr. visits that my bunion issue was going to require additional discussions.  I met with my foot Dr. and he informed me that I had PF and to alleviate the pain in my bunion I basically had two options.  First was to go through physical therapy to help minimize the pain until I had surgery or second was to skip the physical therapy and go straight to surgery.  At this point I had already registered for 4 races in the coming months including my very first full marathon in 4 months.  Knowing that I had already paid for these races, I decided to run through the pain and complete these races.

In December I completed the Hot Chocolate Run 15K and a local race called the 12K’s of Christmas.  I was absolutely miserable after each of these races.  The pain in my feet was unbearable and ultimately I knew that I was DONE.  It was at this point I decided to miss the two upcoming races I had on my schedule, including the full marathon, and have bunion surgery on my right foot.

To cover the procedure briefly, they had to break my big toe, shave down the bunion, and then add screws and rods into my foot.  After a long miserable healing process, my first run finally came 13 weeks after the surgery.

I was frustrated with these first runs because my pace absolutely sucked.  I knew my pace would struggle because of the 20+ additional pounds due to the lack of activity but that didn’t make my pace any easier to swallow.  Regardless of how tough and frustrating these runs were, I would take it in a heart beat because I was out there running again.

As I started my running group again and I was getting my groove back, I was having continued issues with my shoes and my left bunion.  My right foot was fine from the surgery and now I was having issues with my left foot.  I literally went through 5 different pairs of shoes of all different varieties trying to eliminate the pain in my left foot.  Then came what I thought was the answer to all my problems in the form of Altras. 

The Altras had a wide toe box which gave me plenty of room around my left bunion.  While I was running in the Altras I was seeing a full minute per mile faster than before I purchased the Altras. 

It was all too good to be true….

It could have been because the Altras have a lower drop than my regular shoes or simply because I went through 5 different shoes in six months, but I ended up with severe PF in both feet.  At this point I knew something had to be done.  We had received a call from my foot Dr. and coincidentally we had met our insurance deductible for the year.  I needed time to heal from the PF and would eventually need the surgery anyways so we scheduled the surgery.  Surgery was just done on December 18th and everything during the procedure went perfectly.  I did experience a bad reaction to the anesthesia that caused my entire body to be sore and weak which was extremely uncomfortable.  Luckily this subsided after a couple days and I was left dealing with just the pain in my foot.  First check up was December 23rd and the Dr. said everything is healing as expected and the pain is just a typical part of the surgery.  All we can do is continue to ice the area and let my foot heal.

So what is the take away from all this…..

I LOVE TO RUN.  I run for my own sanity and ultimately for the passion of running.  The long list of issues I’ve had over the last year, including two surgeries, is really crazy.  BUT I would go through all that again for the opportunity to get back to running.  In 10 weeks I hope to be updating all of you that I’m back to running and more importantly running pain free.


What is the biggest sacrifice you have ever made to run??

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I know how you feel, I don't know what i would do without running in my life!

    Unforuanatley like you this came close for me too as I used to suffer from incredibly bad shin splints. For me relief came in the form on prevention and education, i invested time and money into learning how to treat my condition and realised it was ok to splurge on the very best kit, also I read everything i could on blogs and sites like http://howtostopshinsplints.com to ensure I would never have to give up running.

    Again great post, good luck to anyone with running pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I look forward to updates! I hope you are back running again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear you have been dealing with so much. As someone who has sat out with a stress fracture earlier this year and recently has some foot issues that really made me nervous, I completely sympathize. Take time and let it really heal up and hopefully as you come back you will feel stronger. Keep us posted on how it is going :) I have been trying to take little breaks when my body says enough and not push myself, and my running has been stronger. I hope to hear good things about your running sooon :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mrs Schlub! Glad all is going as planned and I hope the healing process continues to go smoothly! It's well worth sticking with it and doing all you can to continue to run in the future! I love how much you and Mr. Schlub support each other through all the ups and downs in running and in life!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!