Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Guess What I Did

Good Morning Everyone!!

Well Christmas is right around the corner and Mrs. Schlub allowed me to have Christmas a bit early this year.  So with that, I’m taking the plunge again…..

I’m officially signed up for Marathon #2 in February!!


So I’m calling this race the “Redemption Run” because of the epic disaster that occurred in Vegas last month.  Now coming out of said disaster, there are about 3 or 4 main races at the beginning of each year that draw a lot of runners that I had my eye on to sign up.  The first was the Rock N Roll Marathon Series here in Arizona.  I ran the half marathon last year in Phoenix then I followed that up with the Marathon in Vegas last month.  If you know anything about these races, they have a HUGE cult following because of all the combination/limited race medals that they offer.  For example, I should be getting a special medal for running two Rock N Roll Marathon events in 2015.  As I looked into the event next month, I found that if I run the 5K race on Saturday then the Half Marathon on Sunday, I would actually be walking out of that event with 4 new medals for my collection.  Hey sounds good to me, let’s get that on the schedule.  Mrs. Schlub and I both received an email about a special offer that had to be taken today which would knock the price down on both races and basically makes the races 2 for 1.  #WINNING!!  So this morning I signed up for both and now have them on my race schedule.  Merry Christmas Me!!


Next was the “Redemption Run” itself, another big run here in Arizona is The Phoenix Marathon which happens to be a BQ race.  This is actually the race that Mrs. Schlub ran her first half marathon and was the start of my jump into distances longer than 5K.  The BQ opportunity brings people out in droves by itself, but the race also has a pretty solid course.  I’ve run on many parts of the first half of the race and actually really enjoy the scenery in that area so I’m on board with that.  Again, we received a promotion that was going to knock $20 off the registration if I signed up yesterday so I  jumped on that deal.  #STILLWINNING!!  Third race on my race schedule for the next two months.  Merry Christmas MeX2!!


Because I’ve filled up my race schedule, I have that feeling of half excited and half sick in my stomach as I write these dates on my calendar.  The main goal here is to have a MUCH better race at the Marathon in February and that will be where the bulk of my training will be focused.  As I look at the 5k and Half in January, I haven’t really decided how I want to approach those.  I definitely don’t want to go all out in both when they are back to back days.  A part of me was thinking I would go after a sub 20 min 5K then take the half marathon as a training run for the marathon.  Not really sure…..Any thoughts???

So after all that excitement the last two days, there was one other thing I wanted to vent about today.  Why the H$#% are these races so D$#% expensive?!?! LOL!!  Mrs. Schlub will be the first one to tell you, I am very very frugal (cheap), so when I have to fork over $100 - $150 for a race it always makes me rub my head.  In all honesty I’ve thought about sticking to smaller races that offer medals and chip timing just to cut down on the cost.  Then I realize that I’m pretty invested in these bigger races, hello four medals for the Rock N Roll races!!  If I ever want to attempt a BQ the Phoenix Marathon will be where I do it.  So basically I just wanted to vent a bit, running is a true passion of mine and costs me very little to go out and run on the local trails.  Start entering some of these races and man oh man I’m crying LOL.


Do you enter small races for any of the small race perks?  Less runners/lower costs?

How far out do you plan your races?  Weeks/Months/Years?

6 comments:

  1. Exciting!!! I hope you get the redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting!! I hope you get your redemption! I have heard great things about Phoenix.

    I agree that races are ridiculously overpriced. The way I try to combat that is by racing local as much as I can and avoiding the "big box" races. I'm doing one big non local race this year (Pittsburgh Marathon) but otherwise I'm mostly sticking to events in my hometown put on my local organizations. I just signed up for a half marathon that is $12! Not only is this a little easier on my wallet but I like to support the local running clubs over the corporate races.

    As for your January races: I would actually do it the other way around and use the 5K as a warmup/shakeout and then race the half marathon. The faster you run in a race, the more you put yourself at risk of injury so if it were me, I would hold off on trying to run a huge 5K until after marathon training. In fact, I would caution myself against racing either of those two races. The marathon is the big prize and you don't want to do anything to risk it! Maybe use the half marathon to practice your goal marathon pace or use it as a long tempo run. Less risky and you can still get a fast time! But again, this is just my preference, you should do what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I love your running plans, very exciting couple of months coming up for you!

    I agree that most races above the 10K distance are very expensive - even local ones! Most half marathons around here start at $60 if you register a year in advance, and then they just get steadily more expensive each month! When I'm submitting my payment information I always, ALWAYS think "I could run this same route for free!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is frustrating how expensive races are...I remember someone holding a sign at the last marathon that read, "Remember, you paid money to do this!" I guess the money part is something that makes me get out there and work hard when I forked over the money...
    K, I could you please increase the font? I had to dig out my glasses...old lady here...:/
    I have registered Dave for races for presents, but so far he hasn't been able to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Merry Christmas YOU!! That will be great stuff to look forward to~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some exciting plans for the beginning of 2016!

    In general, I gravitate towards smaller races. The price is right, they often have special touches, and I enjoy the atmosphere and don't need the spectator support. That being said, I do enjoy a big race every now and then!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!