Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

You Have to Break it Down

We are just over a week removed from the marathon and so begins the analysis and planning for my upcoming races.  When I go through this process I become a world class research analyst to make sure I have all the information I could possibly need.  For example, when I have slight tightness or pain in my legs, I scour the web looking for as much info as I can to determine what the cause may be and how I can remedy.  It has done wonders for my past ITB injuries. 


My biggest issue from the marathon was horrible cramping at mile 16.  My initial assessment and advice from friends lead me to believe that my hydration and nutrition were the problem. 

Need to hydrate leading up to the race! 
Need to drink Gatorade during the race! 
Need salt tabs! 

Of course me being me, I started to research what I can do to fight off the cramps so that my upcoming races have a much different outcome.  I found this great article at competitor.com titled How to Beat Marathon Muscle Cramps (http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/training/how-to-beat-marathon-muscle-cramps_84843).  This article speaks more to cramping in the calves but has a small section about cramping in the hamstrings.  As I read through this, my mind was blown!!!


So the basic overview is that most of us lack the strength to hold our running posture for three to four hours which creates slouching through the later portion of the race.  This then puts the hamstrings in a tough spot and causes them to work more.  WOW!!  So that makes it pretty simple, makes my next steps pretty straight forward.  We all know what’s coming…..the same thing that I hate doing…..the same thing I just about do everything in my power to avoid……STRENGTH TRAINING!!! 


So the plan is to add some core exercises to my training as well as some back and shoulder exercises to strengthen my posture.  I really feel that my continued long runs will alleviate some of my challenges but if some crunches and rows will help me run better at my races, I think I can do that.  What about all of you...

Do you go research crazy when you have an injury?  Creating a training plan?  Breaking down a race?

Any favorite exercises to help improve posture??

5 comments:

  1. That is an interesting article! Obviously, I have not run that far, so I can't comment much. I do take checks though while running. During my last half, I rolled my shoulders a few times and and try to work my shoulders back and and forth, it causes me to not tense. I also keep my motto in my head, little tiny steps...I try to not get flat footed when I get tired. It helps me to think little tiny steps lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd wager the best way to get used to running posture is sheer time on your feet, most of which is preferably running. The trick is that you should be thinking about posture during that time. Whenever I get injured I find it most important to look at what caused the injury less than what will heal it. Recovering from an injury is easy, taking 2-3 weeks off does the job for most things. But look at what created the injury to begin with and you can actually fix the problem.

    In my current semi-injured state I've been enjoying indoor climbing and cycling. Cycling gets the cardio and climbing covers strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS say I'm going to strength train more after a race...aaaaand it usually just doesn't happen. We all need more strength training, but I admit it's the first thing to fall on the back burner once I start amping up mileage. We're only mere mortals and it's just hard to fit in all the things we SHOULD be doing with only 24 hours in a day, that we have to share with jobs and families. Maybe if I were an elite and had all day to devote to training I could fit in all the strength, and cross, and yoga....but as it stands, I can't do it all, so some things have to get priority. That doesn't mean I couldn't do more strength though.

    I agree with Cordis that more time on your feet is probably the best way to get used to maintaining posture for long periods of time. I would look into some running form drills that you can do before or after a run, too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely agree with Cordis too. (And Hanna) it's the specificity thing! Some basic strength training can generally be good overall but my thought always is that you have to train your weakness....like the hydration and nutrition, gotta fix those things! Got to fix your posture and the cause of the "problem" whatever it may be. Have someone film you while running, from different angles, if you can stand watching yourself!? I think you are doing great and making super progression in your running. Run smart Richard! and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone here. I would add some dynamic strengthening/form drills and planks. I have a feeling that hydration played a big roll too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!