Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, November 13, 2015

The Big Weekend

Happy Friday everyone!!

Well the big weekend is here, this Sunday I’ll be running my very first full marathon at the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Marathon.


Simply put, I’m extremely nervous!!  I thought for sure that I would come into this race pretty relaxed knowing that I will surely finish and be looking to come in with a pretty good time.  Well today is barely Friday and I feel like I’m going to throw up LOL.  Obviously, with the milestones we surpass as runners, it’s expected that anyone would be nervous when you are attempting to race at a new distance.  At this point I have to rely on all the training over the last few months and just go out there and have a good race.

The one thing I need to remind myself about is to make sure I take the time to embrace the first one.  So often I find myself running with my head down chasing that finishing time.  With this being my first marathon and no finishing time set in stone, I need to make sure I take in the experience so I can remember this one.  Someday I’d like to go after a BQ and that would be the opportunity to put my head down and really click off some miles. 

I would like to post some updates as Mrs. Schlub and I are in Vegas so we can bring everyone along with us.  We will see what happens.

Have a great weekend!!

4 comments:

  1. Have a great time! Enjoy it, like you said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAVE FUN! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE! I'm so excited for you. You better post an update as soon as you are done. If you leave us hanging for weeks without a new post I will fly to AZ and knock on your door demanding a race recap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD LUCK!! Have a GREAT time! Don't worry about your finish time - there will always be other races. Think of it this way, the more relaxed your first marathon is, the bigger your PR will be next time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kristina!! make sure you update us!! have a fantastic time Richard! It will be great fun and a wonderful achievement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!