Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Big News and Some Post Runs

Happy Monday Everyone!!

In case anybody missed it, my Las Vegas Marathon race recap is HERE.  All the disastrous details from Las Vegas LOL.


So with my hiatus from the blogging world, I failed to mention some HUGE news!!!  Back in May, Cheryl over at Why Mom Runs had a great post about a non-profit Facebook group called I Run 4 that matches runners with adults/kids that have special needs and are unable to run for themselves.   The idea is to dedicate our running miles to our buddies and share our running adventures with them.  After reading her post I immediately started to do my research on the group because it sounded like a fantastic opportunity.  Well a couple weeks back I was matched with my buddy, he is a very sweet 8 year old boy who lives out in Wisconsin.  In all honesty, it has added an extra level of dedication to all my running miles.  I was extremely happy that I was able to log the marathon miles for my buddy and the dedication of those miles actually helped throughout the run when I wanted to stop and get a ride back to the finish line lol.

I forgot to post, but my first post marathon run occurred last Thursday.  In all honesty I’m surprised with how quickly my legs recuperated after the marathon.  I put the kids to bed Thursday night, grabbed Buster, and we headed up to the park in our neighborhood.  We kept it light up to the park, and then spent what felt like an hour hitting each tree in the park so Buster could do his business lol.  Overall my legs felt pretty good.  Weekend was super busy so I didn’t get a run in like I wanted to on Saturday or Sunday morning.
Last night, put the kids to bed, grabbed Buster and we headed up to the park again.  We made a quick stop at the park then headed back home.  I knocked out 1.5 miles with Buster before dropping him off and heading back out.  I wanted to put in a good effort last night so I clicked off mile 3 at 7:29 min/mile then clicked off mile 4 at 6:59 min/mile.  Then I had a ¾ mile cool down on the way back home. 
Overall it was a great run!  I am not looking forward to adding speed work back into my plan but I know how vitally important it is to running strong in my upcoming races.  I hope to get in a few more strong runs before the food heavy Thanksgiving holiday later this week.

Is there anybody out there who actually ENJOYS speed work lol???
What is everyone’s plans for Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy speed workouts--they add variety, and they seem to get over with more quickly! I fear them beforehand, loathe them during and love them afterwards!
    I wish I could knock out a 6:59 mile...It is on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and CONGRATS on being matched! It is a very special relationship that develops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I missed your race recap from last week - I kept checking back to see if you had posted it yet! I must need glasses!

    Congrats on being matched, being part of the program sounds like such a great way to stay motivated for your upcoming races! I've used the Charity Miles app in the past to give back, although I'm admittedly really bad about remembering to start the app at the beginning of my runs. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the legs are feeling good!
    The program sounds like it is great motivation.
    Your marathon was not a disaster...you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, cool! I have a few friends with IRun4 buddies! Such a cool program!

    P.S. Not sure if it's my browser, but your font size in the posts shows up really small.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!