Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Does This Blog Even Exist Anymore??


Good Morning Everyone!!

Wow, I thought this was a running blog, just can’t tell these days lol.  I know all of you have been worried but don’t fret, I am still here and I’m still putting in miles as I get ready for the marathon in Vegas.  I’ve been pretty good about staying on the training plan only needing to move things around here and there so I’m pretty happy about that.  So overall update, training is up and down just like it should be when you’re in the midst of marathon training.  But there is one area I need all your help with…

Who the he%$ has the magic formula for throwing down a good run lol.  Like I said, I have had some solid runs so far and at the same time I’ve had just as many bad runs.  The scenario I want to discuss is my running over the last three days. 

Sunday was my long run, I haven’t had a solid long run in weeks so on Saturday I drank a ton of water and even went to bed early all in preparation for a strong run.  Well about 6 miles into a 12 mile run, I was running on E.  I ended up run/walking back home to complete the 12 miles.  Monday was a full rest day which included church group at our house and entertaining about 8 families for a couple hours.  Then comes this morning, let me paint a picture for you…..I struggle to get out of bed, leave the house late, and get to the mountain after a couple other groups.  Great…traffic on the trail!! 

My legs felt amazing, I can’t begin to tell you how strong my legs felt on the way up.  I hit the midpoint in what I believe is my second fastest time ever which is pretty D$%& good.  So I thought after this, my legs would be trash on the way down.  WRONGO!!  My legs still had a lot of pep on the way down and I was able to bomb down the mountain just fine.  Amazing feeling!!

So back to the question, anyone have the magic formula for these great runs???  For me they are totally random with no true sense of how the heck I am pulling them off lol.



7 comments:

  1. hey! I wondered where you have been :) Love the pictures.
    It could be the heat just draining you.
    I am so much like this, I just have random good days, I just have go to go with the flow until it gets cool. I wish I knew a magic formula! Just keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's exactly that: random. Our bodies are strange and complicated, they can be "on" or "off" with no clear reason why. Some people blow up in races for no other reason than an "off day"; some set unexpected PRs on little sleep and inconsistent training. I've accepted the fact that when I set out for a run I really have no idea what's in store! (although rest and hydration definitely help tip the scales in my favor)

    My guess is that your "active rest day" on Sunday is what helped you have such a great run on the trails. The combination of staying active but resting your running legs helped you recharge while keeping that blood flowing. I've also found that on back-to-back running days, the second run feels MUCH better if I take the first one really slow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you - the really good running days come around so randomly! I'm glad training is going well though. I think these hot summer days are a killer. i'm looking forward to a nice cool race day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew!! I know for me, fueling and hydration play a big role, but more importantly how mentally ready I am--I have done a good job lately of psyching myself out before I even start. The weather plays a big role too! Glad you have been able to stick to the plan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! If we knew we could bottle it and be rich, as the saying goes! But I'm glad you had a good one! That's always helpful and a great confirmation that things are generally going in the right direction! Good to hear an update~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love the pictures!:) it looks so beautiful there!
    My good runs are very random too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear training has been going pretty well! Those pictures are amazing. I wish I knew the secret formula for a great run, but alas it eludes me, too. Let me know if you figure it out okay?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!